Views
Helpful
Replies

1242AG Wireless mesh deployment

keegan_958
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I currently have a wireless mesh network that at all access points have an ethernet cable connecting to specific remote points (Kind of had to McGyver this setup). I am actually looking to see if it is possible, to use multiple SSID's, one for use as the backbone, and the second to use as the hotspot?

Right now, each AP in the mesh only has a switch connected to it, and has 3 Cat5 ports for hardwire connections, this is very similar to an intercom system. Basically they are being deployed in areas that running cables is very difficult. All I am looking for is to find out if one SSID can be hidden with 2 VLANs attached, and the second broadcast to use as an actual WAP, rather than connected to a switch?

I will try to explain a little more in depth:

We have a WAP connected to the internet, it wirelessly transmits to 4 or 5 remote WAPs with an unbroadcased SSID. The remotes have 2 VLANs (with managed switch) attached for voice and data. These WAPs have computers that connect directly to it with Ethernet cables.

I apologize if this is unclear, It is hard to explain why the setup is the way it is. I am hoping to simplify it for our clients as they are looking for a wireless solution for their laptops.

Thanks in advance

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card