cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1252 AP upgradation from standalone to LWAPP

nitsg.gupta
Level 1
Level 1

i m trying to upgrade 1252 AP from standalone to LWAPP mode using cisco upgrade tool v3.4.

i have configured all things correctly but getting error "Unable to Load the LWAPP Recovery Image on to the AP"

i have referred upgrade troubleshooting document.

i have downloaded and used the following images from cisco.

1. c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA3.tar

2. c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JDA.tar

You see this error during the upgrade:

FAILED - Unable to Load the LWAPP Recovery Image on to the AP

Troubleshoot

When you see this error, complete these steps:

Verify that your TFTP server is properly configured.

If you use the Upgrade Tool embedded TFTP server, a common culprit is personal firewall software, which blocks the incoming TFTP.

Check if you are using the correct image for the upgrade.

The upgrade to lightweight mode requires a special image and does not work with the normal upgrade images.

plz help me out

thanks in advance

7 Replies 7

CSCO11167812
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is the wireless controller available for the AP. If not, try to place the AP in the same ip segment as the wireless controller. Or you can use DHCP or DNS options to let the AP find the controller. The easiest way is to place the AP in the same segment.

Greets

thanks for reply.

ap ip address is 192.168.10.93/24

wlc ip add is 192.168.10.177/24

so as per u my configuration is correct.

now what to do?

We had the same issues but try this...using the lwapp image file as the new file. That worked for us.

Reloading the Image Using the Web Browser Interface

You can also use the Web browser interface to reload the access point image file. The Web browser interface supports loading the image file using HTTP or TFTP interfaces.

Note Your access point configuration is not changed when using the browser to reload the image file.

Browser HTTP Interface

The HTTP interface allows you to browse to the access point image file on your PC and download the image to the access point. Follow the instructions below to use the HTTP interface:

Step 1 Open your Internet browser. You must use Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 5.x or later) or Netscape Navigator (version 4.x).

Step 2 Enter the access point's IP address in the browser address line and press Enter. An Enter Network Password screen appears.

Step 3 Enter your username in the User Name field.

Step 4 Enter the access point password in the Password field and press Enter. The Summary Status page appears.

Step 5 Click the System Software tab and then click Software Upgrade. The HTTP Upgrade screen appears.

Step 6 Click the Browse button to locate the image file on your PC.

Step 7 Click the Upgrade button.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_10b_JA/configuration/guide/scg12410b-chap20-firmware.html#wp1038434

Regards

Reggie

There's been several of this issue propping up in this forum. I'm an advocate of using the CLI to upgrade from Autonomous to LWAPP. (Some people are for it and some people prefer the Cisco way. Whatever floats your boat, I guess). Are you interested?

Here's the steps:

Requirements:

• Image file (The recovery file has the prefix “rcv” in the image name, such as c1200-rcvk9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar);

• AP is connected to the Wireless LAN Controller; and

• AP can ping the TFTP server where the image is located.

Procedure

1. Copy the recovery file to the AP using the following command:

archive tar /x tftp:/// flash:

2. Let the AP boot on this image:

boot system flash://.bin

3. Reboot the AP.

OPTIONAL

• DO NOT ALLOW THE AP TO JOIN THE WIRELESS LAN CONTROLLER.

• IF POSSIBLE, type the following commands:

 clear lwapp private-config (This will bring the AP to factory default.);

 clear lwapp ap ip address

 clear lwapp ap hostname

 clear lwapp ap controller ip address

4. Let the AP connect to the Wireless LAN controller.

OPTIONAL

If an AP refuses to join the Wireless LAN Controller, type the following command from the AP:

lwapp ap controller ip address

Hope this helps.

Hi

thanks for ur support.

now i have done successful upgrade from standalone to LWAPP by using upgrade tool.

and i want to share to u all.

the problem was my antivirus firewall. after disabling the antivirus firewall, upgrade process is successful now.

and now i am facing new problem that is association with the controller.

i have added option 60 and option 43 on cisco IOS DHCP server.

and it is correct config coz i m getting controller ip address and info on AP.

but getting one error that is "Did not get log server settings from DHCP."

any one has knowledge about it?

if any please help me.

i can associate AP with the controller by putting the controller info on AP's console directly but i need to know about this error.

Thanks..............

hi

thanks for the reply.

now i got the answer why APs was able to join the controller.

actually i had 4.1 version firmware and when i updated it to 5.2 version, all APs successfully joined the controller.

so i think it was only firmware version issue but it took 2 days to resolve it.

but finally i got success.

thanks a lot to help me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: