Views
Helpful
Replies

1532E Point to Point Bridge - WAN and LAN Interface Confusion

dot1x
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Champs,

We are going to setup point to point bridge between 2 sites.

Since 1532E has 2 interfaces, could someone please advise when do we use LAN interface and when to use WAN interface?

Site A will have connectivity to the controller. We need to bridge the remote site which is approx. 120m LOS.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Make sense and I assume you know what you need to do.

The wan port on the RAP side must be used to join the AP to the WLC, as well as to get powered.

The lan  port on the RAP is not necessary.

On the MAP side, as you already stated you are going to use power injector and then you can use the LAN port to create a network segment for site B.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Hi @dot1x

Wan port is suitable for wan connection using cable. If you are using mesh, then, you can use the lab port to connect to a switch to create a network segment.

120 metros is not that long but will require a directional antenna.

@Flavio Miranda wrote:

Hi @dot1x

Wan port is suitable for wan connection using cable. If you are using mesh, then, you can use the lab port to connect to a switch to create a network segment.

120 metros is not that long but will require a directional antenna.

Thanks Flavio.

WAN port is POE supported, should we use WAN port for POE and connect it to switch which has access to the controller (At Site A)? The controller is located at a data center.

The same switch would have access to the local LAN as well. Should I still use LAN port?

On Site B, we have an 8 Port switch with users connected to it. Should I only use LAN port here and connect it to the switch? and use the WAN port only to power the AP?

Yes you can benefit from the PoE on the wan port, however, for mesh we suppose that the AP s remotely, tied somewhere with no easy physical connection.

If you have the possibility the connect the AP to switch then why use mesh?

Mesh AP is usually place in a pole or over a building and is usually charged using some external power source due impossibility to use UTP cable.

This is my understanding, of course, you can do what is best for you network.

@Flavio Miranda wrote:

Yes you can benefit from the PoE on the wan port, however, for mesh we suppose that the AP s remotely, tied somewhere with no easy physical connection.

If you have the possibility the connect the AP to switch then why use mesh?

Mesh AP is usually place in a pole or over a building and is usually charged using some external power source due impossibility to use UTP cable.

This is my understanding, of course, you can do what is best for you network.

We need to bridge 2 sites. Site A has connectivity to controller/corporate network whereas Site B doesn't.

At Site A, when I connect the WAN port to the switch, do I need to use LAN port as well?

Site B, we'll use PoE injector to provide power to the AP on WAN Port and connect the LAN port to the switch for ethernet bridging. Does it make sense?

The 1532 has 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports, the PoE-in port, which is the main WAN port, and an additional LAN port. The PoE-in port should be used to power the access point and connect to a WLC. The LAN port will be used for Ethernet Bridging and Daisy chaining. The 1532 can be powered either by PoE-in, using a PoE injector, or by 48 VDC. The PoE injector can power the access point even if the access point has no WAN connectivity and is operating as a Mesh AP.

Source: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-6/b_1532_dg/b_1532_dg_chapter_01.html

The wan port on the RAP side must be used to join the AP to the WLC, as well as to get powered.

On the MAP side, as you already stated you are going to use power injector and then you can use the LAN port to create a network segment for site B.

@Flavio Miranda wrote:

I'm okay with Site B where I'll power the AP using power injector and will use LAN port to create a LAN Segment.

The document says to enable ethernet bridging on both RAP and MAP.

Ensure that you enable Ethernet bridging for every parent mesh AP taking the path from the mesh AP in question to the controller. For example, if you enable Ethernet bridging on MAP2 in Hop 2, then you must also enable Ethernet bridging on MAP1 (parent MAP), and on the RAP connecting to the controller.

My understanding is that ethernet bridging would work through LAN port, correct me if I'm wrong?

I agree with you.

IIthink that  the concept of wan and lan here is a bit confuse considering that mesh is supposed to be a layer 2 network.

The bridging feature must allow you to create the segment and extend the lan to the remote site.

Any idea what the switchport config be like for WAN and LAN links at site A?

Be carefull with the code your using .

CSCve86627-Bridging interface mode get reset to 'access' when configure MeshAP from GUI

I know 8.5.120 isn't affected by this bug.

Cheers,

Vasco

Cheers,
Vasco

Hi Flavio,

We have implemented Point to Point Wireless Bridge using 1532E.
We used only WAN ports and APs got power from PoE switches. We didn't have to use LAN port.

Hi,

Did you use controller for this?

Yes, we did.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: