Views
Helpful
Replies

1552 AP failing to join WLC

lukedp
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am having difficulty joining a 1552 AP to the 5508 WLC. I am using the 3750 switch attached to the WAP as a DHCP server for the AP points.

The AP obtains a IP address from the DHCP server, however fails to join the WLC. i can telnet to the AP and ping the WLC and from the WLC i can ping the AP.

I am a little stumped on where to go next.

10 Replies 10

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Is the port of the switch in trunk mode, which is the WLC connected to?

I used az internal DHCP of the WLC...

Notice: Take care about the setting of the region code, because it has to be compatible with the AP (you can find the nr. on the back of it, and you can see in its guide, which region code is compatible with that), but before you change it you have to turn the radio's off in WL settings...

---

Posted by WebUser Attila Valguth from Cisco Support Community App

Interface gi 1/0/1 is the trunk to the WLC,

Interface gi 1/0/11 is the trunk to the AP

i did not know you could use the internal dhcp server of wireless controller to provide access to AP. I belived that DHCP server for management was required to be external

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

i used a WLC 5508 about a year ago once, and as i remember i did it like i mentioned. i had a guide too, maybe i can find it and send it to you....

---

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080af5d13.shtml

maybe this, i am not sure...

---

Thankyou Attila, i will see if this works

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

1552 are APs that don't have a local mode, they operate in Bridge mode. In order to connect that AP to the WLC add their MAC address in to Security-AP Policy. Ensure that date/time are correct on the WLC.

Hi glad, does this include the RAP. I have added both the device mac and the mac of the bvi in port of the device to the mac table . Still unable to connect.

Yes it does. RAP will get the IP address from the WLC but not join where is MAPs will not get even the IP (as they are not allowed to associate).

No need for the BVI address, just the MAC of the AP as written on its side or copy+paste the MAC address from the DHCP lease list.

Check the time - it has to be actual time, not something in 1900 as the WLC defaults to.

Thankyou Vlad,  I will give this a try. I do have the current time set however the mac address listed in dhcp differs from that on the side of the ap.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card