Views
Helpful
Replies

1560 AP backhaul change - on 9800 controller

jagan.chowdam
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

What is the correct method to change backhaul of a point-to-multi point mesh network (Cisco 1560APs) on the c9800 controller?

Its a simple mesh network (1 ROOT & 3 MESH APs) configured with 2.4 GHz as backhaul and 5 GHz as client serving. 

If I want to swap the radio roles (5GHz as backhaul & 2.4 GHz as client serving), where do I make the change on c9800 controller without getting the Mesh APs stranded.

Thanks, 

CJ

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RAP's getting stranded is always a risk.  Typically you have to make sure the RAP's get the configuration before you change the MAP.  Here is a small section to make the changes, but there should be others out there to help guide you.

Mesh Deployment Guide for Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers, Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam 17.1

Before you do anything, make sure you can access the RAP just in case, prepare for that.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You configure the backhaul only in the RAP, so theoretically it should propagate the changes to MAP's automatically. I have read this in some Cisco documentation and I cannot find it now. If I find I will let you know.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card