Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1572EAC AP consistently drops 5ghz backhaul, but 2.4 ghz just fine

I've tried different channels and different channel widths.
I've looked at radar event counters, but they're not incrementing.
I've run my config through the wireless config checker.
Interference and noise aren't terrible and I have a terrific SNR.

Yet the 5ghz backhaul on my wireless bridge keeps dropping at least once an hour.  If I switch to 2.4ghz, everything's fine.  But slow.

Using two 1572EAC APs and a 9800-L WLC in a mesh bridge setup.  One is root (RAP) and acts as parent, the other is mesh (MAP) and acts as child.  Each AP has a directional AIR-ANT2588P3M-N= antennae with line of sight, about 150' apart.

When these 5ghz drops occur, the only error on the 9800 is "heartbeat timer expiry".  The RAP registers the mesh neighbor going down, but shows no errors.
On the MAP, however, prior to each drop I'm seeing a consistent error like the examples below (each line is a separate drop event):

• %DOT11-2-FAILURE_RADIO_RESET: Interface Dot11Radio1, reset due to FW: cmd=0x31 seq=6, @87D9E9B1,s@87D9E6DB(14)
  • %DOT11-2-FAILURE_RADIO_RESET: Interface Dot11Radio1, reset due to FW: cmd=0x31 seq=6, @54FE2A17,s@54FE290D(14)
  • %DOT11-2-FAILURE_RADIO_RESET: Interface Dot11Radio1, reset due to FW: cmd=0x16 seq=6, @A7713B02,s@A7713A91(14)
  • %DOT11-2-FAILURE_RADIO_RESET: Interface Dot11Radio1, reset due to FW: cmd=0x31 seq=6, @CD4BA8EB,s@CD4BA880(14)

In a lab setup everything worked OK, but when the time came to deploy for real, the above began occurring after a channel-width change.  We've since tried putting all radio settings back to the way they were, but to no avail -- the drops persist.

If anyone has experienced anything similar or has any ideas for troubleshooting, please let me know ... 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

https://bst.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCwc55632

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Seen similar kind of error message in the same platform, TAC wanted us to upgrade from 16.12.X to 17.2 at that time which fixed the issue. Better reach out to TAC to identify the problem, but I recommend start from running the TAC recommended codes 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/214749-tac-recommended-ios-xe-builds-for-wirele.html

Its easy to fix if you reach out to tac once the problem is identified im sure I can let you know how to get it fixed

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What WLC version you running. Had similar issues on 17.6 ended up on a engineering special

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Did you have a bug id for it @Haydn Andrews ? (so that we can work out which release(s) have the fix)

https://bst.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCwc55632

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Thanks @Haydn Andrews 

So @MatthewMattShenkoShenko looks like you'll need to contact TAC as there's no public release with that fix yet.

Thanks for the replies, all, esp @Haydn Andrews and @Arshad Safrulla 

Recently upgraded to 17.3.6, and this resolved the issue.  Software bug ... assumed I had configured something incorrectly.  Drove me nuts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card