Views
Helpful
Replies

2.4GHz Radios

Rockford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a curious issue with a customer where I have been asked to come in to assess their wireless environment. There are a few immediate issues where they will not give me access to the WLC read only or PI but they have informed me that on the advice of Cisco TAC they have disabled all of their 2.4GHz radios??? this can't be right can it?

BR

Rockford

4 Replies 4

Hi @Rockford

I doubt that Cisco TAC could advise something like that. Maybe for a test but not permanently. Although this could be a good thing as long as all devices on the environment would be able to work in 5.0 Ghz frequency.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Rockford wrote:

they have informed me that on the advice of Cisco TAC they have disabled all of their 2.4GHz radios??? 

I'm not sure if Cisco TAC would, but disabling 2.4 Ghz radio can do a lot of good in an high dense WLAN environment.  

Let's face it, 2.4 Ghz is highly congested.  With only 3 non-overlapping channels, it's really difficult.  Even turning down the transmit power to 1 mw isn't going improve things because the radios are still transmitting beacons.  Turning off the 2.4 Ghz on a per-AP basis sounds good but one has to be very, very careful to know which ones to turn off in order to minimize co-channel interference.

Turning them all off though you're then not listening on 2.4 what about rogue APs! XD

@Rockford wrote:

Turning them all off though you're then not listening on 2.4 what about rogue APs! XD

I didn't say "turn off 2.4 Ghz completely" but turn off 2.4 Ghz on a per-AP basis.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: