cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 controllers in HA, different licenses

eglinsky2012
Level 3
Level 3

We currently have a single 5508-50. We'll be expanding and will have almost 100 APs soon, so we have purchased a 5508-100. We also want to implement HA.

I've been assuming that both controllers would need to be 5508-100, but now I understand if the 2nd WLC were an HA SKU, it could serve any number of APs during failover, but I'd have 90 days to revive the primary WLC.

That said, would I be able to use the 5508-100 as primary, and the 5508-50 as secondary, and the 5508-50 would serve the 100 APs during failover for 90 days? Or do I need to get a matching 5508-100 for HA?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A 5508-50 is the minimum you need to enable SSO or use it as an HA N+1.  What you also could of done was purchase a 50 addr license and then an HA sku controller. Anyways, since you need the minimum of 50, you are good as that now can support the max AP's in N+1 and match your 100 in SSO.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A 5508-50 is the minimum you need to enable SSO or use it as an HA N+1.  What you also could of done was purchase a 50 addr license and then an HA sku controller. Anyways, since you need the minimum of 50, you are good as that now can support the max AP's in N+1 and match your 100 in SSO.

-Scott 

-Scott

OK, so I'm fine mixing the 50 and the 100 if the 100 is primary. Good to know, thanks!

The cheapest solution was to get a used 5508-100, rather than an additive license or an HA unit.

Yes you are fine. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Just so you have it for reference:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html#pgfId-44092

-Scott 

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card