Views
Helpful
Replies

2504 with 2 MGM Networks

mina_raouf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco 2504 controller and I am trying to have 2 Ap manager interfaces, where this controller can support 2 different Networks and can form CAPWAP tunnels on 2 different IP addressess 

Can I use dynamic interface as an AP-manager interface? 

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
To add to Sandeep’s comments. You don’t have to have separate AP managers with your 2504. By default, the management interface is also your AP manager. You can have AP’s in any other subnet, but you have to use dns or option 43 for example for the AP’s to find and join the controller. This is the easiest and preferable design than to have multiple AP managers.
Here is a doc for the AP join
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/70333-lap-registration.html
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Do you mean that AP and Controller can form cap wap tunnel even if they are not on the same subnet?

the case is I have a legacy network that I need my controller to support the AP there, so just by defining the IP through DHCP option and it is reachable, so it can works?

Yes it can. The easiest way is to put the AP’s on the same subnet just to have them join. Once joined, the AP’s will remember the controller IP address. Then you can move them to another vlan. The vlan has to have connectivity back to the controller. Other than that, the doc will explain the other methods of joining an AP to a controller.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card