cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2802 AP XOR radio stuck on lowest power level

steiostb1
Level 1
Level 1

When enabling 5G on the XOR radio, power level is stuck on level 8 (weakest). Even when i disable the native 5G radio - so only the XOR radio is enabled, the power level is still at 8. Tx power level assignment is set to Global, When selection Custom - I can only select level 8. Is the XOR radio only capable of running at the lowest power level? 

I have tested on both 8.2.166 and 8.3.141 software and with different APs. This seems like a new bug?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP
Micro and Macro cells on “I” Series Access Points
The AP 2800i and AP 3800i have integrated antennas and as such, when FRA is enabled and dual 5–GHz operation is selected, only the non-FRA radio can perform the role of a Macro cell or Micro cell. The XOR FRA radio when enabled for 5–GHz must operate using a much lower power and therefore must function as a Micro cell.
Note

The "E/P" Series with external antennas can operate in any combination of Micro or macro cells.

source:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide_chapter_01001.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mikey Boy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, have you seen the power level increasing beyond minimum in certain code levels? The flexible radios I thought were always pretty clear in that the Micro cell power is restricted to minimum. It is only intended to cover very close range clients to cater for high density/capacity.

We use them in call centres over banks of desks etc.

See the manual:

FRA and DCA will enforce many configuration requirements when operating as Dual 5 GHz Macro/Micro: • Minimum 100 MHz Channel Separation (Frequency Diversity) • Micro Cell Power is restricted to minimum • Same SSID’s on each cell

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_RRM_White_Paper/b_RRM_White_Paper_chapter_01000.pdf

pieterh
VIP
VIP
Micro and Macro cells on “I” Series Access Points
The AP 2800i and AP 3800i have integrated antennas and as such, when FRA is enabled and dual 5–GHz operation is selected, only the non-FRA radio can perform the role of a Macro cell or Micro cell. The XOR FRA radio when enabled for 5–GHz must operate using a much lower power and therefore must function as a Micro cell.
Note

The "E/P" Series with external antennas can operate in any combination of Micro or macro cells.

source:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide_chapter_01001.html

Thank you both!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card