cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2802i Flexconnect Local Switching

M. Wisely
Level 4
Level 4

We've got several hundred APs running in Flexconnect mode and locally switching our WLANs, until recently they were all 2700 or older APs. Now we've deployed some 2802I APs and we've got an issue with clients connecting to these. I've configured them the same way as the rest of the older APs.

The clients associate and get a DHCP address from a local server, they can ping the dhcp server but they can't ping the gateway and can't be pinged from the AP.

The clients are being put on the AP native vlan (1)

Output from sho client summary (from one of the APs)

Radio Driver client Summary:
==============================
wifi0
wifi1

WCP client Summary:
=====================
              mac radio vap aid state       encr Maxrate is_wgb_wired      wgb_mac_addr
48:5D:60:AB:CF:3B     0   0  51   FWD AES_CCM128  54Mbps        false 00:00:00:00:00:00

mac radio vap aid state encr Maxrate is_wgb_wired wgb_mac_addr

NSS client Summary:
=====================
Current Count: 3
|       MAC       | OPAQUE |PRI POL|VLAN|BR|TN|QCF|BSS|RADID|MYMAC|
|00:BE:75:E9:72:87|00000000|      3|   0| 1| 1|  0|  2|    3|    1|
|00:BE:75:E9:72:86|00000000|      3|   0| 1| 1|  0|  2|    3|    1|
|48:5D:60:AB:CF:3B|00000000|      1|   1| 1| 1|  0|  0|    0|    0|

Datapath client Summary:
==========================
               id vap   port          node tunnel               mac       seen_ip     hashed_ip sniff_ago confirm_ago
48:5D:60:AB:CF:3B   0 apr0v0 6.233.114.134      - 48:5D:60:AB:CF:3B 10.251.57.136 10.150.145.34  0.150000    0.140000

The site has also got older APs that are working normally. The only difference is that the switch that the 2800 APs are connected to is on a different subnet (same vlan).

Any help would be appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We're hitting CSCvf76739 according to TAC.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

What software version you running on your WLC ? I hope you are on either 8.3.x or 8.5.x with those newer AP models.

As these 2800/3800 brand new APs models, there are lot of issues. You may be hitting those issues & need to check release notes carefully.

Here are TAC recommended releases

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-tac-recommended-aireos.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika

I do keep an eye on the tac recommended releases. We're on 8.3.143.0

Thanks

Not sure, but check the not supported features on 8.3 for the 2800 series:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn83mr4.html#ap-wave2

The list is a bit smaller with the latest 8.5 release:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn85mr3.html#ap-wave2

Thanks, I had checked that before, no mention of flexconnect local switching.

8.5 isn't an option for us as we have a large number of 1140 APs which aren't supported in that release.

Can you connect a client with a wire into that affected VLAN on an affected switch and check if you get the correct IP address and if you can ping the gateway?

Yes wired clients on the same switch and VLAN are working with no issues.

Then I'm sadly out of ideas. I guess it's time for a TAC.

Can you make sure that those new Aps are in the same AP group as the other ones? Maybe there is a different configuration.

Same AP group and same Flexconnect group.

TAC was where I'm probably heading next but I'm just having a look at the stack of switches, they're on very new firmware so that's always a posibility.

The loss of connectivity or as they say “Black-Hole” is an issue with the 2800/3800 on various code versions. Like Rasika mentioned, those models have had many issue after it had been released. Open a TAC case and get the information in regards to the bug you are hitting.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We're hitting CSCvf76739 according to TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card