Views
Helpful
Replies

2APs with same channel number ans SSID

chuahs
Level 1
Level 1

eg I have 2 APs on channel 6 with SSID = cisco

what will happen when 2 APs CROSS each other?

what happen to client in CROSS region?

what happen when client roam across?

7 Replies 7

lisa.hall
Level 2
Level 2

You are trying to increase your range, not throughput. No problem.

I am looking at what happen to the client when it is in the "CROSS" region. will the adapter get confused on APs selection? which AP will client decide to talk to then? Thanks

ccie
Level 1
Level 1

you should indeed have overlap between access points to allow for roaming. it would be best if they were on different non-overlapping channels such as channels 1, 6, or 11. what happens in the overlapping region is that the client will keep monitoring the signal strength and bit error rates of the AP it is associated to. if the signal levels drop too low or the bit error rate is too high, then it will begin scanning for another access point that has better readings. if it finds one (and it will), it will disassociate to the previous AP and associate to the new one.

You state that:

if the signal levels drop too low or the bit error

rate is too high, then it will begin scanning for

another access point that has better readings

How can you configure this? We have found that the client doesn't roam until his association is completly in the ditch. How can I get it to roam at a level that is something less than total session failure?

Thanks,

Brent

I have the same problem Brent. I can walk across the building and stand under a differenct Access Point, and my signal and quality will be very low, but it won't release the first and switch to the second, until it's SEVERLY degraded. I would like it to opportunistically switch at around 30% Signal if it makes sense. Is there a way to tune this?

Thanks

Ray

Do you change of subnet ?

we had experience that kind of problem and we will try the IOS with mobile ip. It can slove the inter subneting problem.

I dont install that already but i think it can be a way to slove you problem, we will try it.

If you've got the same channel overlapping, you'll get interference (lower signal quality). The results might vary, but the best solution is to make sure that APs on each channel don't overlap with an AP on the same channel. A good site survey will help prevent this.

In regards to the roaming delay problems: I've read that the roaming will improve with later firmware revisions.

Someone has mentioned changing the "Max RTS Retries" setting - I've found the easiest way to make an individual client roam (if you're standing under another AP, etc) is to stick your hand over the PC card antenna. It's dodgy, but it works :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card