cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3500 AP won't boot PoE

eglinsky2012
Level 3
Level 3

We just got in two 3500 APs purchased through eBay. One of them works fine, the other one will not power up via PoE, but if I connect the power adapter directly to the AP, it works fine. I'm using the same cable/etc. for the working one and the nonworking one. I'm guessing the AP is defective, but I figured I'd ask if there might somehow be a setting that's preventing PoE from functioning.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

See if you can enable CDP on the Juniper port. If the AC adapter work's and the AP joins, then it's possibly the port PoE that's bad. Like Leo mentioned, try an injector also and see. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you connect it to the same port that the functioning one was connected to, then it does look like an issue with the AP. Have you tried a different switch also by chance?

-Scott

-Scott

Scott: Haven't tried another switch yet. Will do next week. I was using one of four Juniper EX4200 switches in a virtual chassis; I'll try another 4200, and we also have 3300s elsewhere.

Leo: I plugged the power cube in directly to the AP; so 110v in to the transformer in to the AP. We usually utilize the PoE switches, so I did not try a power injector; good thought! How would I go about checking the Ethernet port "shutdown" setting? Would I need to console in? If so, what would the CLI command be? This is controller-based.

See if you can enable CDP on the Juniper port. If the AC adapter work's and the AP joins, then it's possibly the port PoE that's bad. Like Leo mentioned, try an injector also and see. 

-Scott

-Scott

The power injector didn't work, nor did resetting the AP to factory defaults. We ended up returning the unit and its replacement is fine. Thanks for the pointers, guys!

If so, what would the CLI command be? 

config t

interface BVI1

no shutdown

end

As I'm a complete novice with the CLI, I was unable to make those commands work. It wouldn't power up with the power injector, either. However, I went in the WCS, reset the AP to factory defaults, and it's still not working. Must be a hardware failure. This was an eBay purchase, the business manager has been notified by my boss, and we'll replace it. Thanks for your ideas, everyone!

Dude ... I don't know what you've got but let me give you a "deal" that might pique your interest.  

If you want a good opportunity to replace your WLC, Let me tell you a special deal or a promo just released.  Google the SKU of:

• AIR-AP3702I-UX-WLC
  • AIR-AP2702I-UX-WLC
  • AIR-AP1702I-UX-WLC

These promo code is a bundle which contains two (2) controller-based access points (either 1702I, 2702I or 3702I) and the WLC-CT2504-25 is FREE.  

Notice the regulatory domain of the APs is the new "-UX"?  

The app for the iPhone can be found HERE.

For Android, it’s found HERE.

Cisco Aironet Universal AP Priming and Cisco AirProvision User Guide

Thanks for the info, Leo. We already have a 5508 WLC so that 2504 would be a downgrade. :) Now we just need to upgrade the firmware from 7.0.230.0. ;)

If you've got 5508, why upgrade to 7.6.130.X or 8.0.110.0?

Don't forget to upgrade the bootstrap/FUS too.

We will be upgrading since we need to add VLANs for Wifi (clients currently reside in the management VLAN) and a Bonjour gateway is necessary, plus we need to support 2700 or 3700 APs that we'll be getting soon. Since we also have an MSE and a WCS and therefore licensing issues, we're having our IT service provider perform the upgrade. Not sure if they're planning on 7.6 or 8.0, but since 8.0 MR1 (I assume that's what 8.0.110.0 is? I'm new to the Cisco world!) is now out and is newer than the latest 7.6 release, I imagine that's what they'll go with.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Exactly what did you use?  A power injector or a power cube? 

If a power cube works but PoE doesn't then check the configuration of the AP, I've seen a joker pull this stunt and he configured the Ethernet port as "shutdown" and forced the AP to only use a power cube.  

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to check your POE power settings and if it is able to transform the power required to power up the AP. You can also do reset default factory settings and check power injector.

Abhishek, as previously mentioned, I tried powering that particular access point in multiple ports on the switch, and with a power injector. It did not work in either scenario. However, a different access point did work in both scenarios. Even after resetting the defective AP to factory defaults through the WCS, it still did not work. How is this not defective?

Either way, as previously mentioned, we did get the unit exchanged. This was an eBay deal so I doubt Cisco is concerned about what's happening here.

Abhishek, as previously mentioned, I tried powering that particular access point in multiple ports on the switch, and with a power injector. It did not work in either scenario. However, a different access point did work in both scenarios. Even after resetting the defective AP to factory defaults through the WCS, it still did not work. How is this not defective?

Please disregard Abhishek's post (all of them).  He doesn't have any technical troubleshooting background.  He's more into "sales" background.  So don't take any offense to his post and don't take his post seriously. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card