cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3501E not integrating in a WLC4404 w/1121 and 1241 APs

craign1143
Level 1
Level 1

We have a WLC 4404 with about 85 1121 and 1241 APs. -  I just added 6 new 3501E with Antennas, and configured the a new SSID, but non of my clients can connect to any of the 3501s.   One solution from a tech was to update the NIC drivers.   I verified that all test clients are 802.11N and sometimes they find the 3501 but often they switch to another of the older and weaker 1121 or 1241s.            On one test I had a 3501 just outside his room and his client nic was picking up a weak signal 2 floors up, then it would go to one 1 floor down.  eventually we could get it to feed of the nearest 3501 but it would go back to another 1121 or 1241 soon thereafter,.    Our tech doesnt have any immediate answers so I thought I would check with this group. 

Craig

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your WLC needs to be running 7.0.x code in order for the AP to join.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks, it is actually at 7.0.235.0.  I think I choose a bad set of words.   the 3501s actually integrate into the WLC, there was quite a problem keeping the older ones in the system once we upgraded, but the integration is good, its just that no clients are able to benefit from the 802.11N features.   The clients with 802.11n nics and a 3501 just outside their door can not associate with the new 3501.

Craig

So the ap is joined to the WLC... are you using ap groups and is any client connecting to that AP? What encryption are you using because 802.11n standards require the ssid to either be open or wpa2-aes with wmm enabled.

-Scott

Our vendor/tech did try creating a group and we created a new ssid with wpa-2.   The only thought so far from Cisco TAC and our tech was that we have over saturation with 1121 and 1241.  Would that be possible even though a 3501 is by far the closest AP?

thanks!

craig

I don't know because I can't see what you have and how things are setup. Having access to the network like TAC would have makes troubleshooting much easier. You should still be able to connect to an ssid on that ap unless you have a configuration issue.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card