cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3602 AP Cannot Join 2504 Controller

cslack1313
Level 1
Level 1

This is a new setup and has not worked yet. I have multiple 3602 APs and one 2504 Controller. I thought initially I could plug-in an AP into one of two POE Ports on the 2504. During debug mode I see that it has low power, was suprised that the 2504 switch can't fully power the AP? Is this correct? A

Anyways I have another POE switch that I am using with ample power. The configuration for my wireless is that it will be completely segmented off of my internal network as this is for guest access. So DNS servers are external so I cannot create host entries for the AP to discover the controller. With that being said I believe that is just one way for the discovery process to happen. I have my controller management interface and DHCP scope on the controller on the same subnet plugged into the same POE switch. The AP does seem to get a DHCP address and I can ping the controller from the AP. I cannot get any further then that. I will not join the controller and the radios get disabled. I get messages such as "discovery response from MWAR is rejected. I will post a debug log of the AP and its bootup process. Please anyone let me know if they have any ideas. This is new equipment so I would assume the firmware is somewhat up-to-date and the 3602 AP is somewhat the latest model.

Also attached is my Controller config. I will be happy to send any other logs I need to.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to upgrade the code on your WLC. 7.0.220.0 does not support the 3600 series AP.

You need to either upgrade to 7.2 or 7.3 code.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to upgrade the code on your WLC. 7.0.220.0 does not support the 3600 series AP.

You need to either upgrade to 7.2 or 7.3 code.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Well that makes sense due to the rejection error I was getting. Let me try that out. Thanks Stephen

I have updated to 7.4.121.0 but still controller does not find any AP.can anyone help??Also getting trap message AAA Authentication failure for username:<Apname> User type:WLAN USER

Things you can do is: place the ap in the same subnet as the WLC management interface. Console into the AP and power it up and take a look at the output as that will tell you why it didn't join. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

these 3 attachments I have ... Please anyone can help resolving my issue?? after logging in to ap I found that ap is in bridge mode and ap role is mesh ap

Make sure the ap county code is defined on the WLC. Also it seems like the ap has mesh enabled. You need to add the APs MAC address to the mac filter list or the auth list and the ap will join. 

-Scott

-Scott

Your country dcode is fine... Just saw that. So just add the MAC address and the ap will join. Then change the mode from bridge to local or FlexConnect and you should be good.

-Scott

-Scott

I tried adding ap to the MAC auth list in the controller with MIC certificate but still the same...AP shows up in controller for just a second only and then AP doesnot exist anymore

Did you enable the AP Policy for authenticate via AAA or auth list?  Then you need to either try this command from the ap console:

debug capwap con cli

test mesh mode local

Or you need to upload the recovery image to the AP and delete the other images from flash.

-Scott

-Scott

Thanx a lot Scott...It worked...That was a real help I appreciate.God bless

Glad it worked!  Can you mark which post helped so that it may help others during their searches.

Thanks,

-Scott

-Scott

I tried marking it but could not find it how to do so I voted for the post

Hello Scott,

i have a WLC with 7.6.130 .O ver configured and running ,

However AP 3702 does not JOIN the WLC  how can i sort this

Console into the AP and reboot the AP.  Post the output as that will show is why it's not joining.

-Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: