cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3702i slow download speeds

CourtneyKPrin
Level 1
Level 1

WLC 5508 environment with many 3702i and 3802i APs. There is one 3702i that slows a client's download speeds and the upload speeds appear normal. With one to two devices connected to the AP, the iperf download speeds are around 20 Mb/s (using -R). The iperf upload speeds are around 125 Mb/s. I replaced the problem AP with a spare 3702i and the client's download speeds are around 100 Mb/s (using -R). With the problem AP on the bench, I have done the format flash and recovery image process with no difference (~20 Mb/s using iperf -R). The clients are connecting with 5Ghz channels. Any thoughts on what would cause this? Would the AP complain if an internal antenna was malfunctioning?

20 Replies 20

CourtneyKPrin
Level 1
Level 1

Correct, the problem 3702i APs are being rebooted at my desk and have the same issue.

I found another one today that has slow download speeds and is a 3802i. This one is covered by TAC and I submitted a case. I replaced it with a repurposed 3702i (running out of those!) and brought the problem 3802i back to my desk. I did a factory reset via the WLC and still see slow download speeds (<10Mb/s) using iperf with -R.

FYI, the users connected to the replaced APs are not having issues today and reported normal download speeds.

@CourtneyKPrin wrote:

This one is covered by TAC and I submitted a case.

All 3700 are covered under Limited Lifetime Hardware Warranty.  There is no need to put those AP in a Service Contract.

CourtneyKPrin
Level 1
Level 1

I explained to Cisco support that I replaced a problem AP with repurposed AP, same cabling, switch, and switch port, and the download speeds are above 100Mb/s. They asked for WLC config and log files and replied last night that it is bad hardware and asked for my shipping address. My concern is, I have now found 8 APs with the same symptoms and I don't think it's an AP hardware issue. I took the advice of someone here to try a problem AP in Autonomous Mode and I converted a 3802i into MobilityExpress. The iperf -R download speeds are at 137Mb/s.

CourtneyKPrin
Level 1
Level 1

I converted the problem 3802i AP back to CAPWAP, shutdown a known good AP, used its IP on the problem 3802i, and download speeds are near 100Mb/s. I now think it's related to the etherchannel between the switch and the WLC. The etherchannel load-balance on the switch is configured with src-dst-ip and there are 8 members to the etherchannel. Any thoughts on how to verify the etherchannel is working properly on the WLC?

CourtneyKPrin
Level 1
Level 1

We are using two 5508 in pair mode and I forced a failover to test the 8 port member etherchannel. I thought if the symptoms follow then it's not the etherchannel or the WLC hardware. The problem APs are still below 20Mb/s and the replacement APs are near 100Mb/s. Now what?!

Follow-up... Still thinking it's a load balancing issue and identifying traffic between two switches is using OSPF over a bundled trunk, I forced the routed traffic to VLAN 3 using 'passive-interface vlan 1'. Since then the download speeds are normal for all APs. So, something on VLAN 1 is causing the slow traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card