Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 Bandwidth Limit our Guest wlan

Carl Edwards
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Can somebody suggest a straight forward method to limit bandwidth used of one of our wlans, the guest one.  I've tryed to apply a policy/class map to the guest Wlan, to the vlan itself etc with no joy.  I've looked at limiting limit bandwidth on the port to the gateway with no luck.

Can somebody suggest the best method, I'm going round and round reading the cisco documents on it.

Thanks in advance,

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

have you tried doing it at the L3 interface to the internet?

You should be able to set a rate limiter based on the IP address of your guest users to throttle their internet bandwidth usage

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/qos/command/reference/fqos_r/qrfcmd1.html

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the above.  I have although briefly, I've been looking around as it states you can apply qos to a certain ssid.  Although I've just gone round and round, I don't want to give qos to voice or video.  Just limit the amount of bandwidth a certain wlan can use of our internet connection.  I'd originally just set this nic to speed 10mb, but they need more now.

If I place a rate limiter on the interface to the internet, will this limit the collective or each users bandwidth.  As mentioned, I'm aiming for this group of wireless users to not exceed 20mb altogether over that interface.  Is that possible?

Thanks again,

Yes, if you base your policy on the IP subnet range the guest users have it will limit by that.

IMHO this is the best way to go, limit the bandwidth nearest the resource.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Steve, I still struggled with limiting the rate of a port.  Can this be done on a Cisco 3850 switch?

In the end for now I've throttled the port on the nic it uses on the firewall side.  It's something but I'd still like to figure out if possible on the 3850 for other sites I have.

Any idea's appreciated.

Thanks again,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card