cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3G HWIC Combined Bandwidth

pjmcdougall
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco c1841 Router has 2 x HWIC slots. Can two HWIC-3G-GSM cards be used simultaneously from the same 1841 router to increase WAN Throughput?

4 Replies 4

murabi
Level 4
Level 4

This should work. Since we are using two HWIC cards (two wan interfaces), its is equivalent to two point to point links to the same destination. So this can either be used for backup/ redundancy or increasing the total throughput.

Thks for your reply. Yes my thoughts also. Given the limited bandwidth of 3G you'd think there would be mention of this technique by Cisco. Might have to give it a try.

Keep in mind that if both 3G cards connect to the same carrier, you are not doubling the bandwidth. If you want to double bandwidth, you will need to use two different carriers.

Regards,

Roman

Thanks Roman, but if I use a different framed-route (attrib 22) with each connection the carrier has no idea that the two connections come from the same physical device. Then I just use IOS smarts to route the traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card