cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5500 WLAN Controller - AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 Join problems

itdept
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, got a bit of a quandry with joining new access points to our 5500 series WLAN Controller.

It looks like the LAP is initially able to see the WLAN controller, but after that things go sideways. The LAP is pulling a valid IP address from DHCP, and the WLAN Controller is able to ping it.

In the controller's AP Join Statistics we get this:

Last AP Message Decryption Failure  

Last AP Connection Failure  
-Timed out while waiting for ECHO repsonse from the AP

Last AP Disconnect Reason  

Last Error Occurred   
- AP got or has been disconnected

Last Error Occurred Reason  
- Timed out while waiting for ECHO repsonse from the AP

Last Join Error Timestamp  
- Oct 02 14:49:17.876

At this point I got curious about what the LAP was seeing, so I jumped onto it through the console port and I'm seeing this:

Translating "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.goauto.local"...domain server (10.254.0.10)

*Mar  1 00:51:11.197: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Did not get log server settings from DHCP.
*Mar  1 00:51:11.199: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Could Not resolve CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.goauto.local
Not in Bound state.
*Mar  1 00:51:56.702: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC using DHCP IP. Renewing DHCP IP.
*Mar  1 00:51:59.705: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Invalid event 38 & state 2 combination.
*Mar  1 00:51:59.828: %DHCP-6-ADDRESS_ASSIGN: Interface BVI1 assigned DHCP address 10.1.12.242, mask 255.255.255.0, hostname APc84c.7561.0450

The LAP as it stands is not able to ping back to the controller, but other devices on the same subnet ARE able to reach the controller without issue.

I've got another LAP on the same network which we installed a while ago that's working fine. This new problem seems to be occurring for any/all new LAPs we try to add.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm running out of options!

- Alex

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

New WAP?  Please post the outputs to the following commands:

1.  WLC:  sh sysinfo;

2.  WLC:  sh time;

3.  WAP:  sh version; and

4.  WAP:  sh inventory

The WAP would probably in the wrong regulatory domain.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Console into the ap and issue capwap ap controller IP address and see if the AP joins.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

What capwap discovery method are you using?

Is the controller in the same vlan as the AP?

Is the switchport that the AP is plugged into set as a trunk or access port? if AP is to be local mode then make it access

If the AP is getting a valid IP address but it cannot ping the controller, you should look at the switchport config (allowed vlans?) and the path that traffic will take, if pings will not make it then capwap probably will not either.

Derrick Robba
Level 1
Level 1

Add CAPWAP entry in DNS and resolve to controller ip or prime AP as stated above..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Ok I think we're making some progress. The subnet the AP was pulling down DHCP from was different from the host subnet, and it looks like the VLANning wasn't set up to permit that network to contact the controller. I've static assigned the AP an address in the host subnet and now I can ping the controller.

The error I'm getting now is entirely DNS based, so I want to do Derrick Robba's step of adding a DNS entry, I'm having trouble finding the command in the CLI to do so however. Anyone got a hint?

Thanks!

Error:

*Mar  1 00:39:45.210: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Could Not resolve CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER

Translating "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER"...domain server (255.255.255.255)

On AP try this manual command to join the WLC until you fix the DNS/option43/ip helper.

AP# test capwap controller ip

Yea Prime as Saravanan mentions, if you have one or two AP just console in and rock it. If you have a multiple APs you may want to DNS it.. Let me if this helps..

PRIME

capwap ap controller ip address  x.x.x.x

show capwap ip config verify it took

DNS link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1200/installation/guide/120h_g.html#wpxref68540

please rate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card