Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 Running 8.0.110.0 returning to old code

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, 

Just curious to see if anyone has had an issue where a 5508 running any code (my test ones are running 8.0.110.0) and upon a reboot the WLC reverts to its backup image? I thought I was going batty when it first happened but this is the second WLC it has occurred on. If I do a show sysinfo its as if the newer code never existed on the WLC. I am running FUS 1.0.9 on both affected WLCs and their backup imges are different (7.6.x and 7.0.98)

Cheers,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The code v8.0.110.0 has to be installed separate from FUS 1.9.0.0.  I would download both code version again and check that the MD5 hash matches. You can also check the MD5 hash on the files you used already if you want. There isn't any issue with that model WLC or any other and that version of code. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The code v8.0.110.0 has to be installed separate from FUS 1.9.0.0.  I would download both code version again and check that the MD5 hash matches. You can also check the MD5 hash on the files you used already if you want. There isn't any issue with that model WLC or any other and that version of code. 

-Scott

-Scott

Thanks for the response, Scott.

I'll re-download and see how it goes. I did install the firmware separately as far as I recall.

Cheers,

Ric

Keep us posted.

-Scott

-Scott

I just updated to 8.0.110.0 on 2 5508 and everything was good.

I need to ask -- drop in the CLI and do a show boot. See what image is primary and which one is backup. Once you download code to the WLC it goes into primary. The previous code goes into backup automagically. But, you can swap them with the swap command.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hey George,

Primary Boot Image............................... 8.0.110.0 (default) (active)
Backup Boot Image................................ 7.6.100.0

My other one fell back to 7.0.98 which I was surprised by as I thought the software on it was higher than that but I can't confirm what was there before (it came from some old stock).

It hasn't occurred again so I'll continue to monitor and let you guys know if it does happen again :-).

I can't say Ive seen anyone else have this issue. Keep an eye on it. I have a few more I need to do this week. I will post back if I have any problems. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I did 6 more pairs of 5508s .. still good 

Could be my imagination running wild. I have ~250 to do in a few weeks so that should give me a good idea of what's going on if anything.

Hm ok so I am seeing it again but not with 8.0. It is possibly the firmware causing it?

I upgraded to 1.9.0.0 FUS a couple of days ago on a test WLC running code 7.4.110.0. Logging in now (which seemed to hang a bit) I go to "Wireless" and the 1142 AP attached is continously cycling through downloading software then disjoining-rejoining the WLC and repeating it. The 1142 has 7.4.110.0 as its current image BUT the active boot image on my WLC are now:

Primary Boot Image............................... 7.0.240.0 (default) (active)
Backup Boot Image................................ 7.0.98.0

What this indicates to me is the firmware upgrade has caused the 7.4.110.0 image to be wiped and the previous two images have taken over (I'm assuming here the flash holds more than 2 images and we just can't see this).

I've just plugged in another AP to see what happens (3502 this time) and the same is occurring. When it does come up during a cycle I log in and get this from sh ver:

LWAPP image version 7.4.110.0

and CAPWAP-6-AP_IMG_DWNLD: Required image not found on AP. Downloading image from Controller

I rebooted the WLC but the same is occurring.

Next I re-upgraded to 7.4.110.0 and everything was fine with the AP joining properly and SSIDs came up

I have now upgraded the code to 8.0.110.0 and everything is still good. I'll have to monitor and see how it goes.

All seems rather strange and actually caused by 1.9.0 FUS not 8.0.110.0 code

I also checked the hashes of 8.0.110.0 and the FUS 1.9.0 and they are both fine

The FUS takes 35-45 minutes to complete and you should of been monitoring the upgrade from the console of the WLC. You should not reboot the WLC during this process as you can 'brick' the controller.  If you did reboot the WLC during the process then most likely not everything was upgraded and you would need to upload the FUS and reboot again. 

-Scott

-Scott

The WLC was not rebooted at all during the FUS upgrade and it came back up after the install which was a few days ago. When I came in yesterday morning and noticed the issues occurring above the WLC still had an uptime of 1 day 19 hours so something else has occurred.

The FUS version running on the WLC was and is showing as the latest.

Odd -- I'm not having any of these problems. What about a factory reset and rebuild the box ?

I am having the same exact issue on WL5508, one is from version 7.4.X upgraded to 8.0.110.0, one is from 7.0.220.0. The first one ran one day then lost everything, console in it showed no primary image, then boot to the backup image. I re-uploaded the firmware 8.0.110.0, it rebooted to the new version, after three days, it lost again. the one upgraded from 7.0.220.0 rebooted itself for one or two times so far in two weeks.

Both controllers have the FUS 1.9.0 installed.

Anyone know any bug in firmware version 8.0.110.0?

likuanming,

I haven't had any other issues but interesting to hear you have had this occur. I have also read that installing the FUS twice is not recommended by Cisco so be careful with that. Was the FUS still the latest version after the WLCs rebooted?

For reference the 8.0.110.0 is the software and FUS 1.9.0.0 is firmware :).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card