cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 snmp packet loss

dan.letkeman
Level 4
Level 4

We had a system outage due to power problems a few days ago, and now our WLC is showing short term packet loss when monitoring it using SNMP.  We also monitor it using ICMP, but that shows no packet loss.  I looked at the interface statistics on the WLC and all of the switches in between and there are no errors to be seen.  is there any way to troubleshoot this problem on the WLC?  I am more familiar with IOS than the WLC CLI.

Thanks,

Dan.

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well do you have any wireless issues at all? If not, then you know the WLC is fine. Can it be something on the network between the WLC and the snmp server?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

No, no wireless issues that we know of.  I wouldn't rule it out so fast, as our monitoring system is working fine.  All of the other devices it is monitoring have no packet loss.  Yes it could be something with the network, but why is it only this one device doing this....

Other then enabling and disabling the snmp option, and checking the interface the only other thing I know of trying is restarting it.

Dan.

Well yeah you can do that... Do you see errors on the switch port the WLC is connected to. If its lag, make sure the ports are setup okay since maybe the config might of not been saved when the power went out. Also etherchannel load balancing should be src-dst-ip. I would just verify that for now.

-Scott

No errors on any of the switchports on the path from the monitoring server to the WLC.  The odd thing is that this happens during off hours as well, so it's not a network load problem either.  I don't use etherchannel on this controller.

Dan.

So if you are not using LAG, you only have one port connected right?

-Scott

Yes.

Well I guess try rebooting the WLC when you get a chance and see if that helps.

-Scott

We are noticing that even managing it with WCS is very slow.

Dan.

WCS is slow in general. It's not the WLC I can tell you that much. The more floor plans and APs you add to WCS the slower it gets.

-Scott

Rebooting the WLC solved the issue.

Dan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card