cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 WLC associates with 1131's & 1242's but not the 3602i ????

mpgibson001
Level 1
Level 1

We are evaluating the 5508 WLC Series controller. When trying to associate the 3602i/e wireless access points we have no sucess. However the 1131 and 1242 legacy AP's will associate.....LWAP Vs CAWAP  ummmmm?

Any ideas, we've reloaded the 7.2.130 code and it didn't help.

Thanks

MG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

the test capwap command just forces a unicast discovery request to the IP address, which when it gets a response prompts the AP to send a join.

If you are saying that makes this AP join, then it sounds to me like you do not have any form of discovery in place.... (nothing is tell the AP who to join....  but once it is joined it knows the WLC)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Trent Hurt
Level 1
Level 1

Can you collect "debug capwap events enable" and "Debug capwap errors enable" and "debug pm pki enable" on the WLC while the AP is trying to join ?

I would also suggest to connect to the AP through the serial console and collect the output there during the boot/join process.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.2/configuration/guide/cg_lwap.html#wp1508179

Assuming its 7.2.103.0 (not 7.0.230.0, as your typo could go either way) the typical reasons for the AP to not join would be if it couldnt get an IP address, AP Discovery was broken or not configured, the AP was the wrong country code, the date/time on your WLC is set to something prior to MFG date of the 3600, or perhaps you have some forces AP authentication in place?

as twhurt001 said,  getting the AP console output will show you how far the AP is getting... the wLC logs will show you if the WLC is rejecting the AP....

If you can provide what is actually happen, we can hopefully make suggestions.

Again, this all assumes you are on 7.2.103.0

Good information, however we found it to be something else.........

The actual problem with the 3600 series AP's trying to associate to the 5508 WLC  was with the Extreme network infrastructure.

With another site having a Cisco network infrastructure, we had no problems associating the new 3600 Series AP's to the 5508 WLC.

The Cure:

With the 3600 Series AP's and the 5508 WLC connected to a Extreme Network infrastructure,,,,,,you have to Console in to one 3600 Series AP while it is connected to the network at the same time and do the following:

Connect a console connection to an AP, login to the AP, then go into privilege mode,,,,,then run the show IP INT B  which stands for: Show Interface Brief.

Next run the Prime Command:  test CAPWAP controller IP  with the address of the controller.

Example: test capwap controller ip 333.3..33.333 

Then the 3600 Series AP will then join the 5508 WLC Controller.      You only have to do this  ONCE to one 3600 Series AP,,,,then any additional 3600 series AP's will join on there own automagically like there suppose too..

Thanks for all the feedback, I hope what I've posted helps someone!

Thanks

Mike Gibson .

the test capwap command just forces a unicast discovery request to the IP address, which when it gets a response prompts the AP to send a join.

If you are saying that makes this AP join, then it sounds to me like you do not have any form of discovery in place.... (nothing is tell the AP who to join....  but once it is joined it knows the WLC)

Wesley......You're right on!

Thanks MG

He is correct in regards to providing a discovery mechanism, but what is confusing is your statement...

Mike Gibson wrote:

You only have to do this  ONCE to one 3600 Series AP,,,,then any additional 3600 series AP's will join on there own automagically like there suppose too..

You're stating that you force "one" AP to join with the test command, then your "other" APs begin to join properly?  Can you elaborate, because that doesn't make any sense.  Did you not use the test command on "all" APs?  Something seems fishy.

Thanks,
David W.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card