Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 WLC Layer 3 roaming

James Drake
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

As we get more users, we are starting to run out of IP addresses in our wireless subnet at one of our locations.

We were thinking instead of just enlarging the subnet, creating a different subnet for each floor.

While I can find plenty of documentation on Inter-controller inter-subnet roaming, I was wondering how this would be handled across a single controller.

I read the Mobility chapter of the Wireless LAN Fundamentals book (http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=102282&seqNum=3), which suggests that this can be done.

Who has had experience doing this? What additional configuration (if any) had to be done?

Edit: If you have implemented this, what is the user experience while roaming between floors?

4 Replies 4

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If your intention is to increase the scope of dhcp pool my suggestion is to create a new interface on WLC for each building/floors or so and bundle these interface to an interface group and use the interface group for SSID to interface mapping.

This way you should be absolutely fine with user experience. The dhcp will assign the IP address randomly from each interface in the group.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Najaf

Thanks Najaf.

Hadn't thought about that angle. I will do some testing.

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you are operating the Cisco wireless LAN solution in Layer 3 mode, you must configure an AP-manager interface to control lightweight access points and a management interface as configured for Layer 2 mode.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0/configuration/guide/c70/c70ovrv.html#wp1069144

Thanks Mohana!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card