Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 WLC - Multiple AP Management Interfaces

petenixon
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

I have been asked to configure a WLC controller to have multiple AP manager ports configured. Port 1 connects to a layer 3 switch in one subnet (10.10.10.0/16) and management address has been configured for 10.10.10.1. This interface will be used to manage AP's at 'site 1'. Port 2 connects to switch 2 (layer 3 switch) in a separate VLAN and IP network 192.168.1.0/24 and has it's AP manager interface configured for 192.168.1.1/24, managing APs for site 2.

The AP joins from site 1 work fine, as they can reach the management address. AP joins from site 2 fail due to 'Layer 3 discovery request not received on management interface', which says to me that the management interface needs to be reachable from the second VLAN.

The documentation, from memory, states that although the management and ap-manager should be in the same vlan they don't have to be. The only workaround I can see so far is to have connectivity from both layer 3 switches into the management interface using a separate switch?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

petenixon
Level 3
Level 3

Solved it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card