cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5520 Keeps shutting it's Management port down

James_1
Level 1
Level 1

Just curious if anyone know or can point me in the right direction to the reasons why the controller would admin down it's management port.

I added a second Controller to my enviroment and created a mobilty group for the two and for some reason the new controller keeps admin downing it's management port. I see the snmp traps, stating that it's down, but i can't find any indication as to why it shut the port down.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

James_1
Level 1
Level 1

I figured out the problem and wanted to post it here, hopefully it'll help out the next person.

The problem was that our NAC didn't have the system object ID of the new 5520 in it's database (if you want to call it that) and since it' didn't reconize that ID it would fail some sorta authorization process (Still working on figuring out the process) and when it failed, the NAC would send a SNMP trap to disable the interface in which the failed authorization came from, That being the Management Port.

It was able to "Admin-Disable" the port on the controller because the NAC and the WLC were configured for SNMPv3 with read/write rights.

Hope this helps

Edit, I forgot to mention that i had updated the WLC to the current cisco recommended version, before i figured this out.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What firmware is the controller running on?

Aw shoot, i forgot to list that. im running current Cisco recomended version 8.2.151

Hold on ... The Management port gets disabled? Can you post the complete output to the following commands:
1. sh sysinfo;
2. sh inventory;
3. sh lag summary; and
4. sh port summary

Yup, the management port gets disabled and i can't figured out whats causing it.

Here are the show commands as requested.

Thanks for your help!

Are the distribution ports in a LAG or not?

No they are not.

The reason why I'm "interested" because I have a pair of 8540 in HA SSO. Over the weekend, the secondary went into Maintenance Mode. With the help of TAC, we were able to determine that the secondary would go into Maintenance Mode only when HA SSO is enabled. When the 8540 reboots after HA SSO gets enabled, the appliance would immediate take out the LAG, goes into maintenance mode and disable all the distribution ports.
There are many differences between your issue and mine but the underlying behaviour of disabling the distribution ports is intriguing.
Currently, I'm waiting for RMA.

James_1
Level 1
Level 1

I figured out the problem and wanted to post it here, hopefully it'll help out the next person.

The problem was that our NAC didn't have the system object ID of the new 5520 in it's database (if you want to call it that) and since it' didn't reconize that ID it would fail some sorta authorization process (Still working on figuring out the process) and when it failed, the NAC would send a SNMP trap to disable the interface in which the failed authorization came from, That being the Management Port.

It was able to "Admin-Disable" the port on the controller because the NAC and the WLC were configured for SNMPv3 with read/write rights.

Hope this helps

Edit, I forgot to mention that i had updated the WLC to the current cisco recommended version, before i figured this out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card