Views
Helpful
Replies

5760 WLC and 5760 HA WLC question

rteel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I assume this information must exist... I just cannot locate it. Customer purchasing two 5760 WLCs:

1     AIR-CT5760-500-K9

1     AIR-CT5760-HA-K9

I am looking for info on how to configure these 2 WLCs to work together.  How do you inform the production WLC that a HA WLC is available to sync with? Do WLCs have to be L-2 adjacent, or will HA operate at L-3?  How does this HA setup work? etc.

Any help would be really appreciated.

43 Replies 43

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I remembered correctly, the IOS for the 5760 is 7.0.X Maintenance Release (MR).

High Availability (HA) was introduced on the 7.3.X release.

You'll need to wait for a few months before the firmware synchronizes with the rest of the release.

Scott, Steve, George, Surendra, can you add further?

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

You can configure HA on 5760 WLC . With the WLC5760 first release, an AP can be configured with primary, secondary, and tertiary

controllers. When the primary controller fails, depending upon the number of APs managed by a controller, the access point fails over to the secondary controller. Once it detects that the primary controller is unavailable, the AP rediscovers the controller and reestablishes the CAPWAP tunnel to the secondary controller. Additionally, the client must re-authenticate with the AP.

For more info you can go to through the attached PDF and below link.

http://http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/3.2_0_se/release_notes/OL28115_3_2_se_rn.html#wp163607

I don't think that's not it, Ravi.

The OP has two controllers, one with 500 AP and the other has no AP but with HA license.  So the traditional method of AP failover won't work here.  

Yes, correct leolaohoo!

I've seen the links Ravi references. Unfortunately the links reference the traditional method of AP failover, and does not address the configuration of High Availability in regards to the SKUs mentioned.

Ravi and leolaohoo,

High Availability (AP SSO) Deployment Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml

Although the 5760 is not explicitly mentioned in this doc, and since the 5760s do not have the redundancy port, I assume that you need to follow the WISM-2 setup procedures for the 5760 platform, i.e., using redundant vlan. That is the only reasonable conclusion. It seems to make sense.

Thoughts?

Hmmm, this would make sense if the 5760 would run an IOS XE release equivalent to the AireOS V7.3.x (where HA was introduced) or higher - which is currently not the case ...

hi

I have redundant switch and ha controller ct5760. what is the cable connectivity with the switch and should I configure eather  channel both switch and controller. smiley

Hi Kaficisco,

you should be using the stack cables which come along with the 5760 HA units. the below link gives you the info on how to and what stack cables to use in setting up HA on 5760

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/5700/software/release/ios_xe_33/5760_HA_DG_iosXE33.html

-Joseph

CCIE W 40860

Hi Joseph

I have only one Stack Cables and Active and HA device are different IOS does it work.

Need your assistance.

Thanks

Kafi

1     AIR-CT5760-500-K9

1     AIR-CT5760-HA-K9

1     AIR-CT5760-500-K9

1     AIR-CT5760-HA-K9

Thanks for your replay

1.    should I configure Active controller 1st then I connect HA controller by stack cable and boot HA controller.

2.    should I configure 2 eather channel  group . one for core switch A (active) and another for core switch B(stand by)

3.    and cable connectivity active controller Te 1/0/1 connect to core switch A and Te1/0/1 core switch B. and from HA controller Te2/0/1 to Core switch A and Te2/0/2 to Core switch B.

4.    configure Two separate eather channel on two core switch. as I am using 4507 as a core switch.

Please send me a reply as i am okay . if not then what should i do for this.

1.    should I configure Active controller 1st then I connect HA controller by stack cable and boot HA controller.

once you connect the stack cable, both controller are one.

2.    should I configure 2 eather channel  group . one for core switch A (active) and another for core switch B(stand by)

yes

3.    and cable connectivity active controller Te 1/0/1 connect to core switch A and Te1/0/1 core switch B. and from HA controller Te2/0/1 to Core switch A and Te2/0/2 to Core switch B.

yes

4.    configure Two separate eather channel on two core switch. as I am using 4507 as a core switch.

you can do either way.

b.oberle
Level 1
Level 1

I would also be glad if someone could shed a light on this. The different documentations are quite conflicting.

Yes, still unclear for me too.  It begs the question of why the 5760 is available/orderable as an HA WLC (AIR-CT5760-HA-K9) if there is currently no code to support it. What's up with that?  :-)

Well the 3850 and 5760 isn't supported in the latest version of Prime Infrastructure either:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card