cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5GHz bonded channels question

psbrowand
Level 1
Level 1

I have a (hopefully) quick question about 40Mhz wide channels with the 5GHz spectrum.  If I am using 40Mhz wide channels in my wireless network and I disable channel 149, does that mean channel 153 will not be used even if it's still enabled?  From what I understand, when using 40Mhz wide channels, channel 149 and 153 are bonded and disabling 149 means 153 will not be used either.

Thanks for the help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Even if you enable 40MHz channel width, it does not mean only 40MHz capable clients can join. If client is only 20MHz, still they able to connect.

In your scenario, yes CH 153 won't be part of any 40MHz as you disable CH149. Still CH 153 should be in operation as 20MHz  if software code allow this.

I think feature called "Dynamic Bandwidth Selection- DBS " introduced in AireOS 8.1 onward for AP to dynamically changing this.

http://wirelessonthego.postach.io/post/cisco-wlc-8-1-dynamic-bandwidth-selection-dbs

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Even if you enable 40MHz channel width, it does not mean only 40MHz capable clients can join. If client is only 20MHz, still they able to connect.

In your scenario, yes CH 153 won't be part of any 40MHz as you disable CH149. Still CH 153 should be in operation as 20MHz  if software code allow this.

I think feature called "Dynamic Bandwidth Selection- DBS " introduced in AireOS 8.1 onward for AP to dynamically changing this.

http://wirelessonthego.postach.io/post/cisco-wlc-8-1-dynamic-bandwidth-selection-dbs

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks for the reply.  This is some good information.  Thanks for the link!

No problem.

Pls test these features out (I haven't done this by myself to understand how exactly it works in each scenario) let us know what you find.

Rasika

I'm planning on maybe testing this in the lab.  I'd like to see DBS in action now.  Though my lab WLC is running 8.0 and I haven't upgraded to 8.1 because I don't think there's a way to downgrade back to 8.0.

PS-

I really enjoy your website.  It is a great site with a ton of information.  I am on it quite a bit and always learn something new.  Definitely a great help with studying for my wireless exams!  Thanks for all your help!

Though my lab WLC is running 8.0 and I haven't upgraded to 8.1 because I don't think there's a way to downgrade back to 8.0.

I do not think this is true, you should be able to downgrade your WLC. From where you got that info ?

Good to know you are fan of my blog. I'll try my best to find time for keep that going :)

Rasika

In the release notes for 8.1 it mentions they don't recommend downgrading to a release older than 8.1 after upgrading.

In the notes, under "Supported Cisco Wireless Controller Platforms"

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn81mr3.html#pgfId-1317023

Please do keep the blog going!

Ok, yes it is not a good practice, but in certain times you have to do it (code issues/rolling back)

But I do not believe there is a technical limitation, so if it is lab, I will do it & test features as I need.

Rasika

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: