cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7920 in Loud Enviroment

benharned
Level 1
Level 1

We use our 7920 phones on the manufacturing floor which during normal conditions is rather loud. This makes it hard for the users to hear on thier phones because the noise is repeated through the speaker.

Is there any configuration or software changes that can be made to eliminate the repeat? I am not speaking of an echo or any abnormal conditions. This 'repeat' is a normal behavior of the phone. (i.e., like an analog phone where you are able to hear yourself speak through the earpiece).

11 Replies 11

Sorry I don't know the answer ... but the feature you wish to reduce the amplidude of is called 'sidetone' in telephony circles.

Regards, MH

Thanks for the insight. I know I didn't want to call it an echo or repeat

johnruffing
Level 4
Level 4

In high noise environments, the 7920s can have problems. They seem to be better suited to an office or hospital environment. I know of at least one situation where the 7920s were pulled out after extensive adjustments by Cisco and were replaced with Spectralink WiFi phones which are better suited to high noise environments.

We have a pretty dirty environment with metallic dust in the air. This caused problems with our 7920's and the speaker failing, but Cisco finally recognized the problem and modified the phone with a screen to reduce this problem.

How do the Spectralink phone perform in dirty manufacturing environments, and are they compatible with Cisco telephony software and equipment?

For noisy environments is the potential for double-talk, where the NLP will lower the overall volume, where user may think the audio is getting choppy.

There is also the issue of being able to hear the ringer with excessively loud environments. In 3.0, we put the Loud Laser tone into flash as an optional ring. Also if using Outdoors profile where speaker volume is max, may get this symptom you are referring to. Can reduce the speaker volume and try it out.

The spectralink phones have a direct integration to Cisco call manager (they emulate a 7960 phone) and they have models that are specifically designed for industrial environments. They can be dropped from up to 20 ft and survive, etc.

http://www.spectralink.com

We have attempted to roll out the 7920 in a wireless deployment at a construction site.

All of our APs in the field are non-root bridges with clients... We have no ability for wired backhauls.

We are chasing problems with the 7920.

Some phones setup and teardown calls faster than others, the fast ones are 3 to 5 seconds, the slow are 21 seconds or more.

All phones can call each other on the same AP.

Cross APs and some can call others and some can't...

Is the 7920 working well for anyone?

Thanks,

Chris

Should startup a new thread here as it's not really related.

For the wlan issues, you are using a Cisco 1300 in AP mode? or daisy-chaining across wlan link? 21 seconds is almost the keepalive interval for the phone. Ensure to use the latest 7920 firmware (3.01) and arp-caching is enabled if possible.

Is not recommended and will only be temporary as it will re-enabled on power cycle. Will only get 3-4 hours of battery time then. Need to take care of this on the infrastructure side.

kds30136
Level 1
Level 1

We use noise cancelling headsets for a company called theboom www.theboom.com

You have to ask for an adapter that will fit in a Nokia Cell phone. It is 2.5mm and has three maybe for black bands around the plug. The standard boomO is what we have the most of. But for really bad areas they have the boom quite. Its a large headset that has active noice canneling and work great. One last head up on the boomO: Make sure you ask for the microphone NOT to be setup for use with a blackberry. For some reason that setup make you sound really quite to the person listening. Good Luck.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card