Views
Helpful
Replies

7920 Phones as Rogue Clients on WLC 4402

CHRISTIAN END
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we got a WLC 4402 running on our Network and use 7920 IP Phones. Under Wireless-> Rogue Clients i see many of the Ip Phones as threat.

Actually we have many of EVENT ID 3 in the Callmanager which says that the devices unregister and some time later re-registers.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to unmark the ip phones as rogue clients?

2. Could it be that the device re-registration has to do with the rogue client detection?

3. What does the Trap Log message "WEP Key decrypt error" means on WLC??

Any ideas and documents are welcome!!

Kind regards

Christian

EDIT: Forgot to write that we have Running 4.0.155.5 on WLC and Firmware 3.0.1 on the IP Phones. Two days ago we installed the new fixed Firmware for the IP Phones. But with no result.

7 Replies 7

wdmiller3
Level 1
Level 1

We are about to test with the 7920 phones.

Is there any good documentation for setting up the QoS on the WLC's?

We are also seeing the "WEP Key decrypt error", anyone know why?

We also get the occassionaly error saying our Radius server isnt responding. Anyone know why?

We are using 3.2.116.21 on our controllers.

We are about to get back to IOS and remove the WLC from our installation. But i am interested in a solution or documentation for this problem.

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 3.01 engineering firmware we have is for a compatibility issue with the CCX implementation in the Airespace controller 4.0 release, which would cause the 7920 to lock up.

For decrypt errors, believe this is because the phone is doing active scanning (sending probe requests every 2 seconds for ap discovery).

Also see the 7920 Airespace integration doc @ http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/prod_technical_reference09186a00805e75a1.html. Will need to ensure that agressive load-balancing and DHCP required is disabled.

4t-baron
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I think your problem might be related to this field notice: Field Notice:

7920 Locks Up after Receiving Inter-Access Point Protocol Response Packet from Cisco Aironet Access Points Controlled by Wireless LAN Controller Software Releases 4.0.155.0, 4.0.155.1, or 4.0.179.8 and Later Releases of 4.0

www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_field_notice09186a0080723190.shtml

There are two workarounds listed that may work, disable the "A" radio on the ap or downgrade the controller to the 3.xx version of code.

Hope this helps,

Terry

dromer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have exactly the same problems with the 4402 (SW 4.0.155.5) and 7920 (3.0.1). Have you found any solution yet? It is impossible to use this in productive environment (however, we have to...)!

Dietmar

Have you contacted TAC yet? There is an issue with 7920s on LWAPP APs where a lot of APs or a lot of SSIDs per AP could cause issues with 7920s. There is an engineering code if you are running into this, but you need to talk to TAC to figure out if that is the problem. Sorry I don't have more info, but I have just started looking into it. Just wanted to let you know that if you haven't talked to TAC yet, it might be good to start because there are some outstanding issues that are not strictly config issues.

-Eric

Thanks for your help! I will ask if they know something about it. However, there is nothing in the bug database about this issues. We have only 2 SSIDs and about 20 APs.

Dietmar

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card