cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11a > DCA > 40Mhz channel pairs

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

Is there a listing of the 802.11a > DCA >40Mhz channel width pairs for America ? Using WLC 7.0.98 with 1302i.

12 Replies 12

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I believe that they go 40 above, so 36/40 44/48, etc

Cheers,
Steve

--

If  this helps you and/or answers  your question please mark the question as "answered" and/or rate it, so  other users can easily find it.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

John Cook
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not in front of mine at the moment, but I believe you set the channel width under RRM and then you can set the adjacent channel as either above or below from the configuration page of the AP radio.

-John

How does this setting interoperate with non-802.11n APs? Will it just select from the primary channels to assign to 1240s?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Yup, DCA will make sure that the AP's don't overlap on their channels.  So if an N-AP gets 36, and bonds to 40, neither of those channels would be assigned to a neighboring NON-N-AP.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Good to know. Thanks for the fast reply Steve!

Did anyone else notice that channel 112 is missing from the DCA list? Shouldn't it be available to bond with 108?

Mea culpa. I meant to say Channel 120 is not in the DCA list. I'm sure its because its adjacent to 124, which is off limits. Does anyone have an official answer?

Thanks,

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Keep in mind. Some clients may not support all the UNII2 or UNII2E channels. Case in point. The wlc was picking channel 165 on some of the aps (UNII3). The cisco phones dont support 165. Aps that were on 165 were causing a coverage holes for the phones. Just an fyi

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Good point George. Have to make sure there's valid primary channels for "legacy"' 802.11a clients.

I noticed there's a slight variance as to which (upper/lower) channel is the control channel and which is the extension..for example on a 5508 running 6.0.199.4, 52 is an extension channel and 56 is the control, while most are "lower channel control/upper channel extension."

Also, keep in mind. Just becuase you can BOND doesnt mean it always makes sense. And in some cases it may make no sense at all.

Case in point. On a hospital floor with CoWs that use very little data and most of the apps are thin what benny is it for bonding? Yes, you can be on and off the medium quicker, but will they really take advantage of the extra bandwith... no

Why then chew up the extra channels.

just my 2 cents

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks as always. Never hurts to be reminded. This is an edu site but points taken - and given

Oh edu ... Good luck. Esp with the macs, ipads, driods, etc... QoS the hell of out that ... LOL

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card