802.11ac no clients Cisco 2504 Firmware 8.5.140.0

adminsi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I just added 3 new AP on my 2504 Wireless Controller

Model is  AIR-AP1832I-E-K9

But none of my clients are using 802.11ac, only 802.11a or 802.11g

(some are recents laptops or high end mobile devices which are 802.11ac compatible)

Do I need to enable something to be able to use faster wifi protocols?

10 Replies 10

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Normally by default 802.11n and 802.11ac are enabled but you can double chekc if its enabled or not!!

Wireless > 802.11a/n/ac > High Throughput and see the chekc box for 11n and 11ac mode. (chekc it if not checked)

Also make sure that wlan is configured with WPA2-AES and WMM enabled.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

ac mode is enabled (checked)

wlan seems to be configured with [WPA][Auth(PSK)]

In Layer 2 :

Layer2 Security : WPA+WPA2

WPA Policy Checked

WPA2 Policy not checked

Should I enable it? Is this the reason ac is not working right now?

yes...

Best is to create  a seperate test wlan and enable WPA2-AES and then test.

If its successful then  try to enable WPA2/AES on active(old) WLAN but make sure that you dont have any old clients whihc only supports WPA/TKIP.

Regards

I fear to have some old clients, especially in warehouse, some Windows CE barcode scanner

How should I do to use same WIFI SSID with WPA for theses devices, but be able to use WPA2 and ac for newer devices?

Is this impossible to do so?

I would not recommand to create the same SSID with WPA2.

Bets is to create  completely sperate new SSID "TEST" with WPA2/AES and test it.

At least, very useful tips

Was able to get 802.11ac connection with my laptop, **bleep** fast !

Need to check with my older devices if I would be able to change WPA key to WPA2

Thanks for help mate

Best is to create a totally seperate new SSID "TEST" with WPA2/AES enbaled on it and then test it.

Regards

This is tricky because you don’t want devices to have issue. One way that many have done in the past is to have two different wlans with the same SSID but different profile names.  One will be your old profile and the other would be your new profile. The other way is to have two SSID’s in which you would migrate omikd devices to the new when they get replaced/upgraded. 
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

same SSID but different profile names?

Is this possible to do this?

How would devices know which one they would connect to?

(hard to do some live tests, having 100 clients connected, cant disrupt everything :p)

You would deploy the "old" ssid only on the AP-group which are where your barcode scanners are, while you deploy the "new" ssid in your office space, where no barcode scanners are. Downside is, if you move with your laptop close to the warehouse, you lose the fast speed.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card