Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11b endpoint to join Cisco AP 1832i

gilbertthor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I already a end point devices which only supported 802.11b which like to join the Wireless with Access Point 1832i, as Cisco recommendation i did turn off the 1 - 11mbit data rate which cause this endpoint devices unable to join the wireless network however because we will like to test out the functions of that end point devices so i opened the 11mbps data rate as mandatory.

The devices can joined the wireless network however i cannot ping that end devices IP address, i did show IP arp and mac address table which all registered fine and i try to ping others same segments laptop which working fine as well.

i found in the controller which that end devices connected as protocol 802.11g? will this cause the problem?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Start with enabled all data rates and see if this end point works.
And then turn off the data rates one by one until the end point breaks.
I have seen a very expensive end point (for medical use) that requires 1 Mbps in order to associate to an AP and then "requires" 11 Mbps for the rest.
The data sheet of that manufacture claims that the end point supports 802.11b/g.

Hi Leo,

Yes that is a medical devices end point. i did brought the devices and tested in my lab test wlc controller with 1042N access point with only turn mandatory on 11mbps data rate and it was working fine. i saw the end points connected as 802.11b protocol.  

@gilbertthor wrote:

i did brought the devices and tested in my lab test wlc controller with 1042N access point with only turn mandatory on 11mbps data rate and it was working fine. 

Reboot the device and make sure it'll still join the network with 1 Mbps turned off. 

@gilbertthor wrote:

i saw the end points connected as 802.11b protocol.  

No.  If the devices negotiate to 802.11b protocol, then it will surely look for low data rates.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card