Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11u

Kindly please some one can explain in smiple word with  good exmaple what is the purpose of 802.11u protocols. i check few IEEE doc but my head is now all over the place and i dont not understand what this technology do and how we can get benefit of it.

i shall be very greatful thanks in advance.

please do not forget to rate.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Think of 802.11u this way. You can connect to a wifi hotspot from multiple providers without having the need to log in each time. Assume you have att and you connect to a Verizon hotspot at a stadium. You wouldn't need to use your  logon. Verizon would talk to att and validate you as a user. It's also called hotspot 2.0 and wifi pass point. 

Read this ...

http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-certified-passpoint

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

802.11u, which specifies how Wi-Fi access networks interface with carrier mobile WANs. The amendment was approved for publication in February, so it's possible that infrastructure and device-makers alike will begin incorporating it into their products going forward.

and yes cisco is using it.

Regards

Think of 802.11u this way. You can connect to a wifi hotspot from multiple providers without having the need to log in each time. Assume you have att and you connect to a Verizon hotspot at a stadium. You wouldn't need to use your  logon. Verizon would talk to att and validate you as a user. It's also called hotspot 2.0 and wifi pass point. 

Read this ...

http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-certified-passpoint

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hello George

I wanted to thank you, I find your inputs very informative and helpful. 

One of our cellular operators is thinking about deploying HOT SPOT 2.0. in the network. 

It would be very helpful to review a WireShark PCAP file with Beacon signal from the AP, Network Discovery and selection(ANQP) and EPA_SIM authentication. 

Can you please share one reference? 

Many Thanks

Omer

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card