Helpful
Replies

802.11w in mixed 802.11n and non 802.11n network

serotonin888
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

According to this document 802.11w is only supported on 802.11n AP's

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.4/configuration/guides/wlan/config_wlan_chapter_01011.html#d14111e773a1635

What are the implications of enabling this on a controller that has a non 802.11n AP's. Does any one know if this will this causes issues when clients roam?

Has anyone deployed this.

Thanks,

Sero

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would not implement anything in a mixed environment. Even having 802.11n and non 80211n can be an issue when clients roam. It just good practice not to mix thing up or else troubleshooting becomes harder.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would not implement anything in a mixed environment. Even having 802.11n and non 80211n can be an issue when clients roam. It just good practice not to mix thing up or else troubleshooting becomes harder.

-Scott

Thanks Scott,

FYI - We did some limiting testing in a on a single 802.11n AP (1262) and found that some clients (motorola barcode readers i think) could not connect when this was set to optional.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is the problem with newer features... All client have to support it and many old devices have strict requirements which almost makes it impossible to enable new features until these devices are phased out for new ones that will hopefully support it. RF scanners are like the worst:). These have to work, but some are very old because its expensive to replace or the newer models don't support certain standards:)

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card