cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1X Athentication Successful but can't ping Default Router. PSK works fine

Sean Devo
Level 1
Level 1

Got an interesting scenario. I am labbing out 802.1X authentication for wireless with a Cisco 2504 WLC along with a Windows Server 2012 r2 with AD, DHCP Server, DNS Server, Certificate Services, and NPS. I was able to make the different parts communicate and was able to successfully authenticate with an account I created on AD. Under my windows server event viewer, I received confirmation message: "Network Policy Server granted access to user." I received a valid IP address from the DHCP server. Computer is on the domain. Everything looks like it is working perfectly. I even checked the debug on my WLC looking for the mac address of my device but I received the "Processing Access-Accept mobile <MAC-ADDRESS>" message. 

Here comes the problem. I created 2 WLAN’s to test. One was PSK while the other was 802.1X. They share the same interface on the WLC, so they have the exact same configurations. On my PSK everything works fine, I can browse Internet and ping devices within the network. On the 802.1X, I am able to ping the controller, but nothing else. Can’t ping gateway nor my dhcp server. Any thoughts?

Best Regards,

Sean

1 Reply 1

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In your testing the device that connected with psk is the same device that connected to TLS? 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin