cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9120 series AP - what does "professional installations" mean ?

Sanyika64
Level 1
Level 1

There are many SKUs in 9120 list, like C9120AXI-x, C9120AXE-x 

and C9120AXP-x which is stated as "Cisco Catalyst 9120AXP Access Point: Indoor, professional installations"

What is the difference between 

C9120AXI-x  and C9120AXP-x ? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Sanyika64 wrote:

First, take off the "AX" in the model name because it just a sales "term".  Catalyst 9105/9120/9130 are the only models to have the "AX" suffix and any newer models, like the 9115/9117, 9124 and soon-to-be-released 9136 will lose the "AX" suffix.  

Next, the "I" means internal antenna.  The "P" means performance antenna and requires a special type of high-gain antenna.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Sanyika64 wrote:

First, take off the "AX" in the model name because it just a sales "term".  Catalyst 9105/9120/9130 are the only models to have the "AX" suffix and any newer models, like the 9115/9117, 9124 and soon-to-be-released 9136 will lose the "AX" suffix.  

Next, the "I" means internal antenna.  The "P" means performance antenna and requires a special type of high-gain antenna.

Meanwhile I found another Cisco docs, and it looks like that C9120AXE and C9120AXP support same type of external antennas but "AIR-ANT2513P4M-N=" (13dBi on both bands)  which is supported on the 9120AXP model only.

Cisco Catalyst 9120AX Series Access Point Getting Started Guide - Cisco )

Regarding the 'AX' in the model name:

As designer I have to specify the SKUs 110% precisely otherwise I can cause big financial loss to my customer, so until Cisco uses 'AX' in SKUs, I need to use them as well.

Hi Leo, is there any specific Cisco document which states the defination of a "professional installation" or a "professional indoor environment"......are we talking about a factory floor for "professional"..as opposed to a library for example as "non-professional"? What are the key criteria that will govern my decison to choose a 9120AXE or a 9120AXP? Many thanks.....Eamon

The "P" is due to these ap's being approved for outdoor use like in stadiums as an example, where the antenna is LOS with the sky.  You are not allowed to use indoor model access points outside if the antenna is line of sight with the sky.  So that is what the model is used for... now for warehouse, you can use the AXI for 20' and below and the AXE when mounting about 20'.  The antenna you choose on the AXE will be determined by the engineer doing a site survey with the ap and antenna to determine which antenna works best.  So the professional install, is really for the "P" models, which you don't need.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Heyhey, main difference between AXE and AXP ist that you can use AXP with higher gain external antennas. The AXE allows maximum of 6dBi antennas and AXP allows 13dBi antenna. 

The professional installation might be required, as part of the regulatory domain certification for this AP. They might want "professional" installers, because with a 13dBi antenna you could potentially send with more EIRP than allowed. 

||| Please rate helpful posts. Thanks! |||

Hey Eamon, 

Can I hit the "rewind" button?  
What are you trying to accomplish or achieve?  Give us an idea kind of site and what kind of coverage is required.  
Personally, I try to steer anyone away from the "P" until we determine that they fall "exactly right" in that tiny niche.

I have seen someone who has installed a "P" in a lecture theater and ended with a disaster.  

Hello Leo,
I have the same concerns as topic starter and I want to use 9120P with 2588 antenna at warehouse.
I need to cover area with many 100 meters warehouse racks, ceiling is 12+ meters (40+ feet) high, rack is 8-10 meters high (27-30 feet).
By my coverage prediction 2566P antenna cannot cower all 100m row and also it will be high signal leakage to neighboring rows (what will cause interference)
2513 antenna should be mounted at the end of the row and it demands:
- very precise mounting
- always free aisle between racks
- for 2.4 GHz i will have to limit txpower to 7 dbm (20dbm max), for 5Ghz limit to 10 dbm (23 dbm max) what is less than common client device power and it can cause assymetric tx/rx powers and datarates
And deployment with 2588 antenna near the middle of the row looks great for this deployment to me.
How do you think, is it good idea to use 9120P (or maybe 9120E) with 2588p4m antennas?
Thank you in advance, have a nice day.

@AntonChychkan6805 wrote:

How do you think, is it good idea to use 9120P (or maybe 9120E) with 2588p4m antennas?

I think a wireless site survey need to be done properly. 

Ageed, but are 9120AXP and 2588 compatible? 2588 is not mentioned in supported list, but as i understand they are compatible.

@AntonChychkan6805 wrote:

but are 9120AXP and 2588 compatible?

No, they are not. 

There is a brand new antenna exclusively for the 9120AXP.

Understood, thank you!

With such long racks and heigh ceilings you can also look into 13dBi antennas. 

Either the new Cisco: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/antenna/installation/guide/ant2513p4mn.html or following AccelTex antenna: https://www.acceltex.com/shop/2-4-5-ghz-13-dbi-4-element-indoor-outdoor-patch-antenna-with-n-style/

||| Please rate helpful posts. Thanks! |||
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card