Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9120AXI-B access points duplex settings

I have 4 new 9120axi-b access points that are showing the duplex at full and the speed at 100.

show interfaces wired 0

wired0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr .....53:30
UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST MTU:1600 Metric:1
full Duplex, 100 Mb/s

Is there a way to change this to 1000mb/s ? My switch is set to auto/auto by default. 

Thanks in advance. 

Dave

14 Replies 14

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Have you tried setting switch port speed to gig manually, provided the switch does support gig. 

-hope this helps-

Yea that was the first thing I tried. Then I logged into an AP and saw the other are full/1000. Just these 4 are 100. 

- So you mean these 4  won't go to 1g , if port setting is 'frozen' to 1g ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

so if you mean the switch port is defaulted to 1g  yes. The 4 access points are showing full/100

- I mean fixed 1g ports , to resume and clarify , what happens then ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

You can do TDR test in the switchport to see the cable termination (always not accurate but can help to identify cables which are not properly terminated end to end, I would suggest to do fluke test if possible)

test cable tdr interface <interface of your choice>

To view the results;

show  cable tdr interface <interface of your choice>

@Leo Laohoo has written a nice article on the same

How to use Time-Domain Reflectometer (TDR) - Cisco Community

Also make sure that the cable length doesn't exceed 90M if you are using (Cat5e or higher)

Do not bother with TDR on IOS-XE -- It is broken (CSCwd97177, CSCvw97924).

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the exact model of the switch?

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Look at the interface counters for when using 100mb ,look for CRC errors or other error counters, if repeated on other port or even other switch, then the AP's may need replacement (RMA) .

M.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

This points to a cable problem or faulty AP but I'd bet on cable.  Simple (cheap) cable testers will often miss incorrect pairs in the cable so they might test "good" when the cable is not.  You need a proper cable tester which tests all 4 pairs at Gig frequencies.  As per @Arshad Safrulla reply above use TDR - it can sometimes show faults like that.  If it's a Cisco switch make sure IOS is up to date - there have been numerous bugs with autoneg over the years.  Same applies to APs - make sure AireOS/IOS-XE (you didn't mention controller or version) is up to date as a number of autoneg bugs have been fixed.  The fact that you're only seeing it on those 4 APs suggests cable.  Have you tried plugging one of those APs into a cable where the AP is currently working correctly?  If it works there then that proves it's a cable problem or switchport (unlikely but possible) fault at original location.

I have similar problem but slightly more bizarre!

I have a mixture of four 9130 and 9120's They are connected to two different mgig switches. I do a show interfaces status and they are running at 100. I do a TDR test from the switch on each port. The results come back as all pairs normal. I then do a show interfaces status and notice that they all now are running at their correct speeds.

For example

Before the test

Tw1/0/19 Wifi connected 608 a-full a-100 100/1000/2.5GBaseTX

Run the TDR

Tw1/0/19 Wifi connected 608 a-full a-2500 100/1000/2.5GBaseTX

I'm baffled!

Thanks

Check you cable and patch cords.  You can have something loose in the patch panel punch down also.  The only reason it negotiated at a higher duplex was because you ran a TDR and it bounced the port.  When I have ap's that hit my report on 100mbps, I have the tech test the cable run and patch, clean the ethernet port with canned air and make sure the punchdown looks good.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott - Will keep an eye on these and bear your comments in mind if the drop back down to 100mb

All the best

Andy

Rich R
VIP
VIP

There seem to be a few bugs relating to mgig ports:
CSCvt50788 : Bug Search Tool (cisco.com)
CSCvs65189 : Bug Search Tool (cisco.com)
CSCvu13029 : Bug Search Tool (cisco.com)
CSCvu92432 : Bug Search Tool (cisco.com)

What model switch is this?  What version of IOS-XE is it running?
What version of code is your WLC running?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card