Views
Helpful
Replies

9800-CL Network Configuration

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I'm setting up a Cisco 9800-CL WLC and I want to check if there are any issues with using a single VLAN/IP for both WLC and AP management? 

We currently have a management VLAN that is presented to our ESXi hosts and we dont want to setup a second VLAN/IP network for AP management (if possible). Client traffic will be locally switched at the AP via Flexconnect so we will not need to map WLANs to local VLANs on the WLC for centrally switched traffic.

At the moment my test WLC is setup as follows:

interface GigabitEthernet1
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10
switchport mode trunk
negotiation auto
no mop enabled
no mop sysid

!

interface Vlan10
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
no mop enabled
no mop sysid

!

wireless management interface Vlan10

Interfaces Gig2 and Gig3 are shut down. This seems to work ok and APs are registering correctly. Are there any problems with this that will cause me issues in the future?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hello willscotty2012,

I have been running a couple of 9800-CL now with the setup you have setup without any issues. The main reason for the other two ports are for Redundancy (RP port on the old WLCs) and WLC management (Management/SP port on the old WLCs) or if you need a separate interface for management instead of a trunk that shares the vlans needed.

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hello willscotty2012,

I have been running a couple of 9800-CL now with the setup you have setup without any issues. The main reason for the other two ports are for Redundancy (RP port on the old WLCs) and WLC management (Management/SP port on the old WLCs) or if you need a separate interface for management instead of a trunk that shares the vlans needed.

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

Hello guys,

Here we ave the exact same configuration but with a different VLAN and IP address, no way to get the WLC ping the Gateway... But when I turn interface GigabitEthernet1 to L* with no switchport, and assign the IP address to Gi1 it is working.

I am running out of idea...

Any idea ?

Thank you.

A.

Hi

I have the same problem as you. Have you solved your problem?

This may seem like an issue with ESXI PORTGROUP, but I am not sure if it is an issue with ESXI or C9800-CL

Wes Schochet
Level 3
Level 3

Under security in the ESXi port group:

Promiscuous Mode: Accept
MAC Address Changes: Accept
Forged Transmits: Accept

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: