Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 License requirement

ahmad.syed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I am migrating 5800 WLC to 9800-40 . I do not have DNAC in network. What all license required for AP registration . We have 2700 and 9120 AP both. 

Please suggest 

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Note that for physical 9800 instance such as 9800-40 ap-licensing is currently not enforced, but you will get out of compliances messages, for virtual 9800 ap licenses are mandatory.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi @marce1000 ,

So AP can be register on 9800-40 without issue , if we dot have license. Issue only is we will get compliance error. 

- Indeed , you will only get out of compliance warning(s) , but the access points will be  usable . Note that this behavior is not guaranteed for long term use and or may be subject to change on future software versions for the wireless controller

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi @marce1000 ,

Thanks for providing details on my asked question. 

Last point , as my network do not use DNAC , which license i need to use to get rid of compliance error and steps to install it 

>...which license i need to use

Well you need to buy them at least, I don't know product numbers for that you may need to contact your Cisco reseller (e.g.)

>...and steps to install it 

As far as I understand they are added to your 'Smart Account' and or smart licensing is being used , check this document for an overview. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/smart-licensing.html

Whilst @Rich R remarks are certainly valid in terms of being 'financially compliant' I still find it useful to be able to not have to buy licenses for older access points that you may for instance phase out in the future and then need to buy the licenses for new access points only.

M.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I answered a similar question just a few hours ago:
https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/9800-licensing/m-p/4692658/highlight/true#M246354
Getting licenses is not about "getting rid of compliance messages" - it's about complying with Cisco licensing conditions.  If you choose to use Cisco equipment in contravention of their license terms Cisco may also choose to prosecute you for contravening those terms.
And to clarify what @marce1000 said "for virtual 9800 ap licenses are mandatory.".  Actually AP DNA licenses are mandatory on *all* 9800 WLCs (except EWC on AP when not using DNAC) but they are currently not enforced on hardware 9800 WLCs.  The 9800-CL currently allows a max of 50 APs without licenses.  Any of that could change at any time - Cisco could choose to enforce licenses on all 9800 platforms at any time.

And to add to the excellent reply here, you need licenses to be legally compliant. I wouldn't recommend using it. 

All Catalyst 9000 series OP ordered must have come with a DNA license, however if you plan to onboard any older series AP's you must purchase a AIR-DNA license per AP. It is mandatory requirement to have the licenses synced with WLC for legal compliance. Also note that if you have Wave 1 AP's like 2700's you cannot upgrade above 17.3.X IOS-XE codes. Since 2700's are going EOL very soon and with the logistics delays better place the order for the new AP's now itself. If you want to future proof consider 6E AP's, but only after a proper survey and a study to embrace the changes it requires.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card