cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 WLC - Central switching ( Not Flexconnect ) configuration

Wireless
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco community. I want to verify what is the switchport configuration for the access points when using Central switching(Not Flexconnect mode) ? We are using 9800 wlc vm. thanks in advance

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

switchport access vlan x is what you would use.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is the preferred, but switchport trunk native vlan x would be the alternative.

-Scott

Hi, scott
switchport trunk native vlan x

sw trunk allowed vlan x, x, x,x  right?

That is an alternative you can use.  The preferred way is switchport access vlan X

Since you are using local mode, there is no reason to set the switchport to trunk.  Local mode just uses one vlan, which is the ap management vlan, so access port is preferred and simplifies the configuration.

-Scott

Central Switching 
meaning all WLAN-VLAN mapping done in WLC 
so 
as Mr.Scott Fella Suggest 
WLC native VLAN-ID for AP <- this VLAN use by AP to get it IP address from DHCP Server and connect to GW
in SW that AP connect to it 
interface x
switchport access vlan <X> <- same VLAN-ID you config in WLC 

Wireless
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. We are currently running on Flex mode and we want to change it to local mode since flex mode has vlan limitation. 

Aside from checking the "Enable local site" on the site tag, what else do we need to change?

I think you need to really understand the 9800 configuration.  There are too many things and many way's to go about this.  Hopefully you have another 9800-CL in the lab so you can test and validate the configuration you need and want to use.  This also depends on how you have things configured and how many locations you plan to do at a given time.

-Scott

Wireless
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @MHM Cisco World @Scott Fella . hope you can help me regarding my inquiry above. I'm not yet familiar with 9800wlc configurations

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card