cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ability to disable 802.11ax on 9120AXI AP?

slalomice
Level 1
Level 1

Having an issue where some end devices are unable to view an SSID, and suspect it's due to their compatibility with the SSID being broadcast out of the 802.11ax radio.

These devices can only operate at 2.4GHz (group policy/compatibility), so disabling the slot0 radio (dual-band) also stops those clients who are working as expected from operating all together.

Is there is a way to remove the 802.11ax functionality from the 9120 AP? I can see the 9115 and 9117 have both a 5 GHZ and 2.4 GHz antenna, but the 9120 only has a 5GHz and a "flexible" antenna, offering both (so 802.11ax).

"

Flexible radio (either on 2.4 GHz or on 5 GHz)
2.4 GHz, peak gain 4 dBi, internal antenna, omnidirectional in azimuth
5 GHz, peak gain 5 dBi, internal antenna, omnidirectional in azimuth

Dedicated 5-GHz radio
5 GHz, peak gain 4 dBi, internal antenna, omnidirectional in azimuth

"

I've created a new WLAN with 802.11b and 802.11g only set, but I believe these are still being broadcast out the dual-band radio (802.11ax) on slot0 on the 9120, correct?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is Flexible Radio Assignment (FRA) enabled?

I think you're confusing FRA and 802.11ax.  
If you want to individually disable FRA, then the AP can be configured for the 2.4 Ghz to be client-serving.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is Flexible Radio Assignment (FRA) enabled?

I think you're confusing FRA and 802.11ax.  
If you want to individually disable FRA, then the AP can be configured for the 2.4 Ghz to be client-serving.

tadnan001
Level 1
Level 1

In GUI:
Wireless > 802.11 a/n/ac/ax > High Throughput (802.11 n/ac/ax) > 11 ax mode [uncheck]

Repeat same for 802.11 b/g/n/ax

Check image:

disable ax.png

while this was solved by turning of .ax support from one or both band segments, Potentially client driver updates might also work for a mixed environment.

dofarrell
Level 1
Level 1

Use this at the controller cl1

conf t
ap dot11 24ghz shutdown
y
ap dot11 5ghz shutdown
y
!
ap dot11 24ghz dot11ax
ap dot11 5ghz dot11ax
!
no ap dot11 24ghz shutdown
no ap dot11 5ghz shutdown
!
end

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card