Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access point cisco air-cap2702i-a-k9

Hi, 

I have 2 of the access point Cisco air-CAP2702i-A-k9 working fine, So I bought a third one. 

Can someone please tell me how to copy the configuration from the once I have and paste it in new one?

Thank you!

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Need more information... you running autonomous or mobility express?  Autonomous, you can issue a show run or tftp/ftp the config and modify it then tftp/ftp it to the new one.  Mobility Express, you just add the ap to the same subnet and it would join as long as you have to correct image.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

You can do it that way, or tftp the config off of one and edit it and upload it to the other. It’s up to you how you want to configure the other ap. Easiest way is copy and paste, but do it little at a time.
-Scott

There are many guides and videos on how to tftp or ftp files to and from devices. Please take a look at this guide or just search “Cisco ap tftp files”

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15-3-3/configuration/guide/cg15-3-3/cg15-3-3-chap20-firmware.html

-Scott

1. Can your AP reach 10.0.0.2 - for example can you ping that IP from the AP?

2. Are you running a TFTP server on that IP?

3.  Like Scott said above - have you disabled the firewall or added a rule to allow access to the TFTP server?

4. Have you configured the TFTP server? How you do that depends on what software you use - check the instructions/help/readme for that software.  Normally at a minimum you need to configure what folder the TFTP server uses as root and the folder/files need to be readable/writable by everyone.

5 Start your TFTP server and watch the TFTP server logs when try to upload the file.

Question do i need to change the IP address on the existing AP to 10.0.0.2 ?

- No.  That must be the IP address of the TFTP server where you are trying to TFTP the file to.

1. Can your AP reach 10.0.0.2 - for example can you ping that IP from the AP? NO I can't 

- if the AP can't reach that IP then TFTP won't work obviously!  Make sure your IP routing between the AP and the server is working first before you try to use TFTP.

21 Replies 21

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Need more information... you running autonomous or mobility express?  Autonomous, you can issue a show run or tftp/ftp the config and modify it then tftp/ftp it to the new one.  Mobility Express, you just add the ap to the same subnet and it would join as long as you have to correct image.

-Scott

Hi Scott, 

Thank you for getting back to me!

I know for sure I have the right image, I already copied the right image to it.  This is my network the two existing assess points are connected to a SG220 switch and I have port ready for the new one and the switch connected to ASA 5506-X firewall. So if I connect one of the two exiting AP to Console cable am I able to copy the Configurations and paste it in the new one of course I need to give the new one new static IP address. Am I saying right?

You can do it that way, or tftp the config off of one and edit it and upload it to the other. It’s up to you how you want to configure the other ap. Easiest way is copy and paste, but do it little at a time.
-Scott

Sorry my question now is can you please tell me the steps how to do it with either way?

Thank you. 

There are many guides and videos on how to tftp or ftp files to and from devices. Please take a look at this guide or just search “Cisco ap tftp files”

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15-3-3/configuration/guide/cg15-3-3/cg15-3-3-chap20-firmware.html

-Scott

Keep in mind that if you are using tftp or ftp from your laptop, you may have to disable the firewall on the laptop or allow the application or port. If you see an eeeor when doing this, it can be the firewall, or path that is not correct.
-Scott

Thank you Scott for your help. I will figure out.

Thanks!!

Yeah... its pretty simple depending on the tftp or ftp server you use.  Probably best to try to download the config first from the device to see if that works and verify the location of the file, then you know for sure you will be able to upload a file from that directory.

-Scott

I thought you mentioned that you will just copy and paste the configurations line by line?  So exactly what do you want to do?  Upload a configuration file that you must created and edit yourself or paste the configurations from the CLI using putty or securecrt for example?

-Scott

so I tried with TFTP server but I am getting Error I know I am doing something wrong somewhere. below what i did

AP03#copy running-config flash:AP3config.txt

Destination filename [AP3config.txt]?ENTER

%Warning:There is a file already existing with this name

Do you want to over write? [confirm] ENTER

AP03#copy flash:AP3config.txt tftp:

Address or name of remote host []? 10.0.0.2

Destination filename [AP3config.txt]? ENTER

and then getting

%Error opening tftp://10.0.0.2/AP3config.txt (Timed out)

1. Can your AP reach 10.0.0.2 - for example can you ping that IP from the AP?

2. Are you running a TFTP server on that IP?

3.  Like Scott said above - have you disabled the firewall or added a rule to allow access to the TFTP server?

4. Have you configured the TFTP server? How you do that depends on what software you use - check the instructions/help/readme for that software.  Normally at a minimum you need to configure what folder the TFTP server uses as root and the folder/files need to be readable/writable by everyone.

5 Start your TFTP server and watch the TFTP server logs when try to upload the file.

Hi Rruding,

Below are my answers. Question do i need to change the IP address on the existing AP to 10.0.0.2 ?

1. Can your AP reach 10.0.0.2 - for example can you ping that IP from the AP? NO I can't 

2. Are you running a TFTP server on that IP? YES I am 

3.  Like Scott said above - have you disabled the firewall or added a rule to allow access to the TFTP server? Fire Wall is off also made a rule to allow TFTP

5 Start your TFTP server and watch the TFTP server logs when try to upload the file. There is no log 

Question do i need to change the IP address on the existing AP to 10.0.0.2 ?

- No.  That must be the IP address of the TFTP server where you are trying to TFTP the file to.

- if the AP can't reach that IP then TFTP won't work obviously!  Make sure your IP routing between the AP and the server is working first before you try to use TFTP.

Hi,

Thank you. I had it to work by just coping from my exiting AP and paste in the new one.

Thank you guys for all help and valued knowledge you shared with me!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card