cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Point name change in Cisco Wireless LAN Controller

rayy
Level 1
Level 1

We have couple of APs in the Cisco WLC and updated of the names of the APs yesterday. The name has successfully updated in the controller but when we test with the wireless tester, it is showing up just MAC addresses instead of AP name. I tried rebooting the AP and it didn't work.

4 Replies 4

Hi

I would say you tester is not OK but access one AP and see which hostname it shows.  It the hostname is OK on the AP you can be sure that your tester is lying.

There are about 20 APs and only 3 APs showed the name correctly, the other ones just shows mac address. What other tester do you suggest?

I suggest no tester, I suggest you to check on the AP and see what hostname it has. Then you can confirm if the tester is right or not. 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Many testers will only display the AP name if it's less than a certain number of characters - say 16 for example.

Try reducing the length of the AP name and see if the tester suddenly starts showing the name?
Do those 3 APs have shorter names?  Are you using any special characters in the names?  You should generally only use standard ASCII characters.

As @Flavio Miranda said this is a tester problem not an AP problem.  If you're not happy with the tester speak to the vendor who sold you the tester.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card