Views
Helpful
Replies

Access ports instead of trunk ports on vWLC

anthony.ashwin1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

We have a customer asking us to relocate an old vWLC onto a IaaS platform, and I'm trying to confirm whether it'll be able to operate there or not. You'll have to excuse me - i'm not that familiar with the Cisco wireless controllers.

The current appliance is an AIR-CTVM-K9 version 8.0.120.0, running on VMware ESXi 5.5. It serves multiple guest and data SSID's, and currently uses a trunk port configured at the vSwitch layer, trunking 3 VLANs.

The issue I see is that the proposed IaaS platform won't allow us to configure trunk ports, since that layer is all abstracted (VMware vCloud Director based). Is it possible to simply present the data VLANs as separate access ports on the vWLC, or does it have to be via a trunk port?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I believe you can create multiple interfaces on the vWLC. If your using FlexConnect local switching and the AP’s are on trunk port and no user traffic comes back to the vWLC, then you don’t need a trunk port on the vWLC anyways. So depends on how it’s currently designed.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I believe you can create multiple interfaces on the vWLC. If your using FlexConnect local switching and the AP’s are on trunk port and no user traffic comes back to the vWLC, then you don’t need a trunk port on the vWLC anyways. So depends on how it’s currently designed.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.  I had a look at all the configured WLANs, and they all seem to be set to use FlexConnect Local Switching under the advanced section.  So sounds like we might be able to get away with access ports.  I'll set it up in the lab to see if i can confirm.

Regards

Anthony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card