cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add AP adder license on 5508 HA pair WLC. Does it require a reboot?

zhilimailbox
Level 1
Level 1

Add AP adder license on 5508 HA pair WLC. Does it require a reboot? 

Is the reboot only required on the WLC with license files, which currently is standby. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

I would it as although you can add licenses to WLCs and they appear without a reboot, if there is an uncontrolled reboot I've seen 5508s lose their license files and they have to be re-applied. 

Cheers,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

View solution in original post

Here is my 2 cents... load the license on the primary and issue: redundancy force switchover.  This will reboot the active, make sure it's your primary unit, and the standby will become active. Then when the other controller comes back up and both are in sync, then do another force failover to make the primary unit as active. 

No downtime.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

I would it as although you can add licenses to WLCs and they appear without a reboot, if there is an uncontrolled reboot I've seen 5508s lose their license files and they have to be re-applied. 

Cheers,

Ric

Thanks for the reply. 

What is the best way to reboot a HA pair with minimal down time?

What kind of HA are you running, HA SSO? 

Ric

HA SSO, 5508 WLC

Here is my 2 cents... load the license on the primary and issue: redundancy force switchover.  This will reboot the active, make sure it's your primary unit, and the standby will become active. Then when the other controller comes back up and both are in sync, then do another force failover to make the primary unit as active. 

No downtime.

-Scott 

-Scott

Hi Scott,

I saw your post and it makes perfect sense. Have you tried this procedure and had it work without failure? The reason I ask, I have a customer that needs to add licenses to an existing HA 5508 pair with SSO. TAC is saying they need to add the license to the Primary and reboot both Primary and Secondary simultaneously.

Thanks,

Steve

Just want to be clear on this. Only do this when you either load licenses or certificates. Don't do this if your upgrading code or else your controller will go into maintenance mode. 

-Scott 

-Scott

You mean upgrading field software / WLC software? For these upgrade, both WLC HA pair have to be reset using reset system command on the active WLC. Is that what you mean?

Thanks,

I found this on a search for a similar topic, can you confirm if doing an HA failover/reboot also works for config that requires a reboot, such as 'config network web-auth captive-bypass enable,' without having to reboot both units at the same time? 

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card