cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add AP By Serial

JasonGorman1808
Level 1
Level 1

I've stood up a new WLC 9800CL at our data center with a bunch of APs sitting boxed at multiple branches. Is there a way to add these APs to the WLC via serial number? Just trying to grasp how to add these APs once they're powered on.

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Do you currently have the need to authenticate APs to the controller , otherwise the standard methodology is to let them discover the controller with DHCP and or with the use of DHCP option 43 to let them discover the controller IP address (?)
  Well to add ; so what we need to do then is  ,to  get a csv from  their mac addresses and feed that into our infoblox dhcp server/service with their import tools.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@JasonGorman1808 wrote:
Is there a way to add these APs to the WLC via serial number?

Renaming the AP name based on the Serial Number was a feature in AireOS and this feature was not "ported" over to IOS-XE.  

I strongly suggest getting the MAC address of each AP because, depending on the firmware of the controller, every AP will start with the name "APaaaa.bbbb.cccc".  

If, however, the controller is on 17.12.X (and later), the default AP name will be "APaaaa-bbbb-cccc".  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card