cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add new network to Cisco1242 AP

johnny_5
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup another network on a AP that has already has a company and guest network set up. The new network will not be able to reach anything on our side. We have setup and configured a new 1921 Router to give this branch Internet access. The new router 1921 , Cisco2900 XL switch and AP are next to each other in the new branch. ISP Router > 1921 Router > 2900XlL Switch > AP/PatchPanel

The AP is crrently connected in to the switch.

I already have a VLAN set up on the switch FA0/30 for regular internet access for the new branch. Do I have to set up another VLAN on the switch to isolate the new network on the AP? How would this work though with other wifi networks already operating on the AP and internet access for hard wired PCs.

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are adding a new SSID to the AP, then that AP is connected to a trunk port and yes you do have to create another vlan in wchich you would have to create an acl on the router to block traffic from that subnet to your corporate subnet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080c0b93c.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you Scott...This is where I'm at right now. The AP has been setup with the VLAN we configured on our switch. We have dedicated about 20 ports towards this VLAN - the AP is directed to one of the switch ports.

I can connect to the wireless AP (enter in SSID & Passphrase)but get no internet access, ipconfig shows no ip address.However,  I can successfully ping the IP address of the AP. Do I still need to have the VLAN  assigned in the AP Web interface while connected to a dedicated port on that VLAN?

If I'm not getting an IP address is has to be something to do the DHCP pool on the router?

ANy suggestions/thoughts would be helpful!

Well can you post your show run-config?

If your trunking the AP, make sure that the vlan is being passed.  Also make sure there is an ip helper on the layer 3 svi.  If you assign a static address, can you ping the gateway and another ip address on a different subnet?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Post your AP show run config, that will help us to understand what's missing.

HTH

Rasika

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you may need to create another VLAN on the switch to isolate the new network on the AP based on SSID.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card