cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a second WLC5508 + AP licenses, is it possible?

schulcz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys!

We have one WLC5508 with 100 AP licenses, almost all licenses are in use. We want to replace the entire system with the 9800 series, but this is unfortunately not possible at the moment, a full replacement is expected by the end of 2022. As an interim solution, we figured out that we would buy a second refurbished controller from Cisco with preinstalled licenses to increase reliability and cover possible future AP extensions in numbers. (5508 series is already end-of-sale I know, but I have seen that refurbished is still available for purchase.)
The question is, with SSO configuration, will the second wlc preinstalled licenses be added to the original pool or not? So do we have to buy licenses separately from the controller, or not necessarily?

(Surprisingly, I saw that normal ap licenses could still be purchased as LIC-CT5508-UPG)

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Adding another controller does not bundle the license on both. The primary controller needs to have the license. The secondary needs to be an ha sku or have a min 50 ap license to make it available to use as SSO. You might just get another for N+1 with more license or get two so that you can decide which aps will fail over to one controller vs the other.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

End-of-Sale is 04 May 2018.  This means no Cisco-certified reseller will sell you the AP adder license. 

This also means anyone selling an AP adder license may not work.

I know what End-Of-Sale means, but are You sure about that? It is configurable without error in ccw system (see attached image) doesn't that mean you can order it?

But my main question is that what about licenses come with the second controller if I will make SSO configuration, will they lost or will they added to the pool?

Thanks!

Adding another controller does not bundle the license on both. The primary controller needs to have the license. The secondary needs to be an ha sku or have a min 50 ap license to make it available to use as SSO. You might just get another for N+1 with more license or get two so that you can decide which aps will fail over to one controller vs the other.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Now it's clear for me, it's also written in SSO and N+1 Deployment Guide, thanks for Your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: