cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice for Finding a Cisco AP Lost between floors in a Building

David Chancusi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I would like to ask for advice and suggestions regarding how to find a lost Access Point that is lost between the floors in a multi-story Building.

I have a Cisco network deployed in a building that has a Ground Floor, Mezzanine, floors from 1 to 9, and also an Underground Level, as shown in Figure 1. It has Access Switches in each floor, and several Access Points in some floors, managed by an AIR-CT5508-50-K9 WLC.

Figure 1: Building DistributionFigure 1: Building Distribution

I have identified the distribution and location of most of the networking devices throughout the building. It was a Complete Mess:

- Some of the Access Switches were not properly installed in the racks of each floor. (I have been working to fix that, so they are now).
- Most of the Access Switches did not have descriptive hostnames to have an idea where they are located. Also there was no documentation regarding inventory and location of the devices. (I have been working to fix that).
- IMPORTANT: All the stories of the building have Concealed Grid Systems (dropped ceilings hung below the main structural ceilings) as shown in Figures 2 and 3.

Figure 2: Example of a Concealed Grid CeilingFigure 2: Example of a Concealed Grid CeilingFigure 3: Example of dropped ceiling hung below the main structural ceilingFigure 3: Example of dropped ceiling hung below the main structural ceiling
- All but 1 of the APs in the building were not properly installed in mounting racks on the walls/dropped ceilings (I have been working to fix that). They were hidden on the concealed grid between the concealed grid system and the main structural ceiling. Nobody knew where the APs actually were.

- No APs had a descriptive hostname and Location info to have an idea where they are located (I have been working to fix that, so they have now).

The problem is that there is a missing device:
In the Mezzanine, there is a WS-C3650-48PS switch. It has several things connected to it, and it has connected to it (in the Gi1/0/13 port) an AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 Access Point. But I cannot find where the AP actually is.
This is shown in Figures 4 and 5.

Figure 4: Building General NetworkFigure 4: Building General NetworkFigure 5: Detailed Mezzanine NetworkFigure 5: Detailed Mezzanine Network

I have searched throughout the dropped ceiling in the Mezzanine, but I am certain it is not there. I have also searched adjacent floors, but I can't find it.

To help locating it, I did a trick in the WLC:

- I created a WLAN with the SSID name "ARCOTELCIUDADANO", and I isolated the lost AP by placing it in a AP Group where it is only it, and I set it to only broadcast that SSID network.

So that lost AP is the only AP in the building that broadcasts that SSID. This is shown in Figures 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Figure 6: AP Neighbour according to WLCFigure 6: AP Neighbour according to WLCFigure 7: AP List in the WLCFigure 7: AP List in the WLCFigure 8: AP Group for the lost APFigure 8: AP Group for the lost APFigure 9: WLAN that the AP Group broadcastsFigure 9: WLAN that the AP Group broadcastsFigure 10: The AP Group only has the lost AP in itFigure 10: The AP Group only has the lost AP in it

I searched for the SSID Wlan using the App "WiFi Analyzer" through the stories of the building, and I had the following results:

Place of the AnalysisSignal StrenghtComment
4th Floor-75 dBm (aprox.)Medium signal level
3rd Floor-50 dBm (aprox.)Strong signal level
2nd Floor-70 dBm (aprox.)Medium signal level
1st Floor-85 dBm (aprox.)Weak signal level
Mezzanine-75 dBm (aprox.)Medium signal level
Ground Level-65 dBm (aprox.)Medium signal level

Ground level, outside the building (on the sidewalk)

-55 dBm (aprox.)Strong signal level

As shown in Figures 11, 12, 13 and 14.

Figure 11: Results in MezzanineFigure 11: Results in MezzanineFigure 12: Results in Ground LevelFigure 12: Results in Ground LevelFigure 13: Results in 3rd FloorFigure 13: Results in 3rd FloorFigure 14: Results in 1st FloorFigure 14: Results in 1st Floor

These results are Weird. I don't understand how this can be possible. And I have also searched 3rd floor, but did not find that Access Point.

With all these things, I would like to ask for help regarding how to find the physical location of that lost Access Point:

How can I find the location of that lost Access Point through the stories of the building? Do you have any advices or suggestions about how to track and locate that AP? And most important:
How can I follow the UTP cabling through the floor switch, the patch panel, the vertical cabling between floors, and the horizontal cabling on a floor to get to the AP? Is there a technique to follow UTP cabling in an infrastructure?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to me. If you want more info about this, or have any questions, just let me know.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We did this exercise several years ago and the most important thing is the AP MUST BE still joined to the WLC: 

• Turn ON LED flashing on the target AP
  • Enable ALL APs to max out Tx power
  • Turn off the lights to each floor as you crawl
  • IF the switch supports TDR, run a TDR to determine the length of the cable run
  • Then do a "triangulation" from all the APs and the target AP as the "target" using the following command: 
show ap auto-rf 802.11a <NON-TARGET AP NAME>

Depends on the WLC firmware this will determine how close each APs are to the target AP.  If running the correct version, the AP name will be found in the last column to the right.  

And then use the LED flash to find out where the AP is located.  Again, very handy if the floor is dark.  

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your reply. It gives me some hope in this topic.
Regarding your post ideas:

- Yes. The AP is joined to the WLC. That connection seems to be stable, so that is not an issue.

- What do you mean by "Turn ON LED flashing on the target AP"? I have never heard about such feature. Please elaborate. How do I implement it on the AP? Can it be done from the WLC? Or do I need to Telnet the AP?

- The Neighbour Switch DOES support TDR. Here in Figure 15 are the results of the show cable-diagnostics command on the Switch.

Fig 15: Results of show cable-diagnostics in the neighbour SwitchFig 15: Results of show cable-diagnostics in the neighbour Switch

Sadly, I am not that optimistc regarding that, because I have seen throughout the horizontal cabling on the concealed grid systems, that sometimes the UTP cable that reaches a final device (such as an Access Point) is too long, and they leave the cable excess coiled shortly before reaching the actual equipment, so that the Cable Length data may not be so accurate in reality.

- Does that "triangulation" command have to be done from all APs including the lost AP itself? Can it be done from the WLC? Or do I need to Telnet each AP?

- As shown in Figure 16, this is the WLC version:

Fig 16: WLC versionFig 16: WLC version

-By the way: I did not think about "turning off the lights while searching on the dropped ceiling". Thanks for the tip.

If you have any more comments or ideas, I would appreaciate it a lot.

One more suggestion. Android 9+ (maybe already version limits the access to the Wi-Fi interface a lot, that means that wireless scanners only work for a few seconds, until Android blocks them from accessing the interface.

For this reason I suggest a dedicated wireless signal strength scanner. Then you can select the wireless interface BSSID MAC address you want to find and simply follow to where it's guiding. With the help of the flashing LED you might find it much more quickly. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@David Chancusi wrote:

Turn ON LED flashing on the target A

If supported on the WLC firmware, use the following command to enable the LED to flash rapidly: 

config ap led-state flash indefinite <AP NAME>

WARNING:  Make cause some medical seizure to some. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@David Chancusi wrote:

- Does that "triangulation" command have to be done from all APs including the lost AP itself? Can it be done from the WLC? Or do I need to Telnet each AP?

The command I've posted must be done on the WLC.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card