cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Air AP 1242AG-E-K9 How to upgrade firmware lightweight

tanner.zaitt
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, my question is how we can upgrade firmware of Air AP 1242AG-E-K9 ?

I am with these things:
-Cisco console cable
-Cisco Air AP 1242AG-E-K9 
-Cisco Poe adapter
-Cisco AP antennas
- And I am with access to Cisco resources to download firmwares.

But how I can install new firmware?

Am I on the right way?

First I find that link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/wireless/aironet-1240-ag-access-point/model.html#~tab-downloads

I want Lightweight AP IOS Software.
And I should download it:

Aironet 1240 AG Access Point?

What is next step?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@tanner.zaitt wrote:

Received FATAL : Certificate unknown alert
Bad certificate alert received from peer

You really, really need to read this:  FN - 63942 - Wireless Lightweight Access Points and WLAN Controllers Fail to Create CAPWAP/LWAPP Connections Due to Certificate Expiration - Software Upgrade Recommended

The AP is probably >10 years old and the MIC has expired.  This is why the AP won't join the controller. 

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Andy Wallington
Level 1
Level 1
If you want to upgrade a lightweight AP then just connect it to a controller with the required firmware .
I'm guessing you meant autonomous? If so follow this - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/107911-ios-upgrade.html

Andy

Can I do it offline without connection to wireless controller ?

@tanner.zaitt wrote:

Can I do it offline without connection to wireless controller ?

I don't understand the logic.  

Yes, the CAPWAP IOS can be upgraded without the WLC, HOWEVER, once the AP joins the controller, the controller will downgrade/upgrade the IOS (found in the AP) so it will be in line with the controller.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My 2cents is if the AP already has lightweight image, then you don’t touch it as the controller will push the image. Doesn’t make sense to want to upload an image. If your AP has an IOS image, then you need to convert it like what the other poster mentioned.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi.

I don't know the password for enable mode of access point.

How we can reset and upgrade this access point to lightweight from autonomous ?

I downloaded image file for lightweight ios.
I started tftp server on my window 7 pc.
I changed my IPV4 settings to 10.0.0.2 255.0.0.0.
I turned off AP.
I pushed mode button and hold it for 20 seconds when I tuned on AP.

And nothing....... I see only

process_config_recovery: set IP address and config to default 10.0.0.1
process_config_recovery: image recovery
image_recovery: Download default IOS tar image tftp://255.255.255.255/c1240-k9w7-tar.default

examining image...tftp://255.255.255.255/c1240-k9w7-tar.default: no such file or directory

ERROR: Failed to open archive file tftp://255.255.255.255/c1240-k9w7-tar.default
Loading "flash:/c1240-k9w7-mx.124-3g.JA/c1240-k9w7-mx.124-3g.JA"...########################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################

When I put my pc and Ap in network 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0.
I see I don't have connection between them.

My Pc is joined to Domain and when I change my IPV4 settings I see my network type is public, and I can't change it.

Is this my problem?

I put my downloaded image in root dir of tftpd application.

Cctr+break and ESC they didn't work.....

Windows firewall blocking?
-Scott

I am in, now I have access to AP.

How can I do 

Cisco AP - Converting Autonomous to Lightweight offline?

Can I connect AP and PC in one lan network and run new image over tftp?

You can. Just follow the link that was posted. Or search autonomous to lightweight conversion and you will find a lot of info and videos.
-Scott

I did it with this command:

ap#$overwrite /reload tftp://10.0.0.2/c1240-k9w8-tar.124-25e.JAP12.tar
examining image...
Loading c1240-k9w8-tar.124-25e.JAP12.tar from 10.0.0.2 (via BVI1): !
extracting info (299 bytes)
Image info:
Version Suffix: k9w8-.124-25e.JAP12
Image Name: c1240-k9w8-mx.124-25e.JAP12
Version Directory: c1240-k9w8-mx.124-25e.JAP12
Ios Image Size: 5038592
Total Image Size: 5192192
Image Feature: WIRELESS LAN|LWAPP
Image Family: C1240
Wireless Switch Management Version: 8.0.141.32
Extracting files...
c1240-k9w8-mx.124-25e.JAP12/ (directory) 0 (bytes)O
extracting c1240-k9w8-mx.124-25e.JAP12/c1240-k9w8-mx.124-25e.JAP12 (4763991 byte s)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
extracting c1240-k9w8-mx.124-25e.JAP12/7101.img (131328 bytes)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
extracting c1240-k9w8-mx.124-25e.JAP12/6701.img (131328 bytes)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
extracting c1240-k9w8-mx.124-25e.JAP12/info (299 bytes)
extracting info.ver (299 bytes)!!
[OK - 5038080 bytes]

Deleting current version...
Deleting flash:/c1240-k9w7-mx.124-3g.JA...done.
New software image installed in flash:/c1240-k9w8-mx.124-25e.JAP12
Configuring system to use new image...done.
Requested system reload skipped due to unsaved config changes.archive download: takes 57 seconds

Reload it and now I am with lightweight IOS firmware.

How can I connect it now to Controller?

Using DHCP option 43 or via the CLI on the AP enter the WLC name & IP address.

capwap ap primary-base (WLC-Name) x.x.x.x

Thank you.

But can you tell me more about how to put new IOS without risks to break the AP?

Now I used tftp server but it is not recommended because UDP is not securely to transfer the IOS firmware from one host to Cisco AP?

About my problem early with tftp I solve it with BVI1 interface, and I put there ip 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 and in my PC I put ip 10.0.0.2 255.0.0.0.

Now I am ready to connect AP with lightweight IOS firmware to my switch, where I receive for example vlan 10 where my controller is communicate too. To port where I will connect AP I just will setup access port for vlan 10 am I right?

Now my AP will find the controller?

Or really I need to do these things?:

Using DHCP option 43 or via the CLI on the AP enter the WLC name & IP address.

capwap ap primary-base (WLC-Name) x.x.x.x

Tomorrow I will try, thank you for all your answers .

I try what you advised me to do but I see these error messages now:

Received FATAL : Certificate unknown alert
Bad certificate alert received from peer

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card